DIY RE Gear

RD423

has anyone ever tried the DIYRE stuff, I'm thinking about getting a few of there products...but I have also thought about getting the Tonebeast Pre and also a WA76 from Warm Audio....I know I will get the WA76 but I'm not sure about getting the tone beast.....not sure if anyone has experience with the DIYRE and what there opinion is...

has anyone ever tried the DIYRE stuff, I'm thinking about getting a few of there products...but I have also thought about getting the Tonebeast Pre and also a WA76 from Warm Audio....I know I will get the WA76 but I'm not sure about getting the tone beast.....not sure if anyone has experience with the DIYRE and what there opinion is...

What is your present level of skill re construction electronic devices? If low to none, I suggest you start with something very cheap and simple.

Over here we have a company called Maplin and they distribute electronics kits made by Velleman who I am sure are world wide. V's "One Watt" amp kit will probably cost you $5.00 and is a very handy booster based on the LM386 chip. As it stands, powered from 2X AA it makes a handy guitar headphone practice amp. Give it 9-12 volts and it will make a surprising amount of noise! Especially into a 100dB/W/mtr guitar speaker.
Also a useful circuit tracer amp.

You will need a good solder iron, 50watts and thermostatic, can be had for around £50 here. A fair to middling ($30 say) digital test meter is a must but beware! It will be bog useless past about 2kHz, make yourself an "aperiodic" analogue AC voltmeter around a VU meter and an OP AMP.

Dave.

I built the Passive Reamp box. Incredibly simple to build. I may try the Colour modules in the future. Since I'm on their mailing list, I received some hype-mail about a 500 series Pultec EQ emulation that may (or may not) be coming as a kit. That could be interesting to me...

I built the Passive Reamp box. Incredibly simple to build. I may try the Colour modules in the future. Since I'm on their mailing list, I received some hype-mail about a 500 series Pultec EQ emulation that may (or may not) be coming as a kit. That could be interesting to me...

I take it you have a 500 lunchbox and PSU?

Dave.

What is your present level of skill re construction electronic devices? If low to none, I suggest you start with something very cheap and simple.

Dave.

I'm good with soldering and being able to read resistors and such...

I bought a pair of their Colour Pallettes (Mk1) with the Primary Colours Bundle. Pretty straightforward and well documented instructions. Good components and solid PCB's and I plan on buying more of their Colour module kits. Good stuff. I wouldn't hesitate recommending their stuff to others (assuming they have basic soldering skills).

Back