DIY mpedance matching transformer for harp?

rustman

I'd like to build low xlr to hi guitar plug impedance transformer. I need it in order to use SM57 or such with my guitar amp. I know there are several good products in the shops, but not where I live and I like building stuff myself. Those available are not expensive and I bet it is not difficult to make one. The problem is to find suitable common transformer and a picture how to make the connections. I have searched everywhere in the internet with no luck, so far.
Any idea? Happy New Year you all!

EDCOR
or jensen. The Jensen website has diagrams (i think
) be well all. poor typing b/c of bad burns on fingertips. just makes me want to play guitar when i cannot.

Hello!
I found one schematic on the Jensen site. The transformer seemed to be on the expensive side. Ready made cord extension transformers cost around 30$ but this transformer alone seemed to cost over 100$. I may have mistaken, though. I already have couple of hi z harp mics, but one has to experiment. All the time :D

Check out the spec sheet for the transformer and see if you can find similar but cheaper.

Hello!
I found one schematic on the Jensen site. The transformer seemed to be on the expensive side. Ready made cord extension transformers cost around 30$ but this transformer alone seemed to cost over 100$. I may have mistaken, though. I already have couple of hi z harp mics, but one has to experiment. All the time :D
The inline things don't use Jensen transformers! When you are adding a transformer to your signal path you are always making some compromise between distortion and limited frequency response on one hand and size, weight, and price on the other.

Theoretically you could use a passive DI backwards, though the XLR hole would be the wrong gender. You could also at least try just a straight wire connection with an XLR to TS cable.

There isn't really an impedance problem in the connection. The real issue is one of level. A guitar amp probably has plenty of gain for a microphone, but it would be nice to step up the voltage closer to the mic for S/N purposes.

Back