Is a Distressor worth it?

B

BobbyBalow

Is the $1k worth it for the distressor? I'm looking for something to smash up vocals for a very in your face sound (for hip hop and screaming metal vocals). I currently have an fmr rnc, but I'm having trouble getting the crazy compressed in your face sound that isn't "sterile" sounding.

For the vox I used: acm1200 --> acmp 1073 --> FMR RNC --> firepod

The firepod will soon be replaced by an lynx aurora 8.

have you

Have you tried splitting the vocal track into 2 identical copies, adding a typical vocal compression setting to one, a punchy/attacky compression setting to the other, then bussing them together into a limiter and cranking it up?

I've done the 2 channel thing, but never ran them back together into a limiter... maybe that is what I've been missing.

Anyone have any comments about the distressor?

Last edited:
I have a pair of distressors.

I think they are one of the most flexible compressors you can find. They sound good and do about everything.

It was a no brainer for me, they are worth a grand easy. You might want to try one and see if it is worth it to you?

mm

While I wouldn't mind having a couple of Distressors (just never got around to buying them, I have a bunch of other comps)...
...if you want a less expensive alternative, find a Joe Meek SC 2.2 (or even the original SC 2).
I have the 2.2, and mainly use it for my stereo drum tracks, but it sure can crunch things up for you, plus it has the "Dark" mode which will add a nice moody texture to the sound.

One thing though...the SC 2.2 is a stereo comp...not two mono comps, so you can only use it on a single track at a time or a stereo pair.
Also, it must be run 100% balanced line in/out...otherwise it screws up the internal stereo linkage.

But it certainly has "nuke" possibilites.

Though yeah...I would love a couple Distressors in my compressor's rack. :cool:

Back