Distortion Pedals

boogle

I am trying to find more information about distortion pedals. I want to know things like, does the tone knob change which frequencies are being boosted or does it just filter the already distorted signal. Are the eq settings post or pre distortion. I know this varies form pedal to pedal but I want to know where and how to get information on these things. If any knows or knows where to find out please let me know.

Thanks

boogle said:
I am trying to find more information about distortion pedals. I want to know things like, does the tone knob change which frequencies are being boosted or does it just filter the already distorted signal. Are the eq settings post or pre distortion. I know this varies form pedal to pedal but I want to know where and how to get information on these things. If any knows or knows where to find out please let me know.

Thanks

I don't know that any of your questions matter as the pedal is made to distort your signal, the EQ will effect the distorted signal (unless it is a boost and/or disortion). You would have to look at the schematic to find out where the EQ is if it really matters to you, but I don't see why it would. In addition, with no shortage of distortion pedals, I'm sure you can find one that fits your needs, assuming you have needs since they weren't put forth.

Check out www.generalguitargadgets.com, www.diystompboxes.com or something like that.

As far as adjustable EQ, the Quadrafuzz is the ultimate. It runs your signal through four filters, then allows you to add distortion to each one seperately. You can even run all four outputs into a mixer and combine them any way you like. The distortion is LED clipping, similar to a Rockman. Two drawbacks: It takes a long time to figure out which settings work best, and you have to build it yourself from a kit. If you'd like more info, here:

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6720K

Most of the Distortion pedals I have built had the Tone controlls at the end of the Curcuit so the Signal is distorted first and then the signal goes through the Tone controll curcuit and then to the Volume controll and then to the output.....

Cheers

Back