Digitech GSP 21

El Barto

Anyone have one of these? I picked it up for $100 used at Guitar Center, so far I'm enjoying it...everytime I've played with it, I found new and exciting features. Now for my plethora of questions:

1) It didn't come with the footswitch. Will any of the Digitech footswitches work with it?

2) I seem to be getting a lot of noise...a lot of hiss...when my guitar volume and even amp volume is turned all the way down. Would this be most likely cause by the cheapo Guitar Center little cords I got for free? Would the hiss be reduced/eliminated with some Monster cable?

And the grand daddy of em:

3) I have a Marshall VS100 combo amp with FX Loop. I hook the FX Send from the GSP 21 into the FX Return of the amp, and the FX Send from the amp into the FX return on the GSP. I turn the FX mix knob hard right on the amp, and I can't hear the GSP 21...I can FAINTLY hear it. What's going on? Should I just input my guitar into the input of the GSP, and plug the GSP FX Send into the Input on the guitar amp?

Any responses will be ungodly appreciated.

There are a few different midi control petals that will trigger the Legend. But your best bet is to keep an eye on E-bay or something for the specific Legend or legend pro petal. I have no clue if the newer foot petals will screw things up or not.

Noise will come for certain from shitty cables. The cables that the store toss in for free are useful for next to nothing audio related. Also keep an eye on both the input and output knobs on the GSP. But dear god buy some cables.

As far as effects looping goes, I have to ask why bother? One tends to use a loop when they want to condition the signal in two seperate fashions. Are you adding other effects to seperate amps? If not then using the loop is pointless. But to verify, push the utility button a few times to see what it says about your loop, weather or not it even recognizes it. Digitechs are noisy. Eliminate all extra units and connections.

Thanks for the reply...I saw a GSP 21 foot pedal going for mad cash on EBay...maybe it'll come down in price. Oh, and it's not a Legend, it's just a plain old GSP 21, unless they call the old ones Legend (it just says GSP 21 on the front). I was poking around the board looking for the best way to make cable (which is the best stuff to buy to make it?), so I think I'll go that route. It's not a bad unit for $100, I'm enjoying it. It's sweet as hell for vocals though, I must say. It's really fun.

Digitech ran a seris of the legend board. You, sir, most likely have the first one in the series.
Digitech GSP21
Digitech GSP21 Lengend
Digitech GSP21 Legend Pro.

Each of of them is upgradeable to the next modle, via a change in a chip. What they did was add more effects each year. The thing that gave it the "Legend" status was that the effects patterns were allegedly the same basic settings that assorted guitar legends used for their own strings. I wager the cost of upgradeing would be rather foolish at this point in time. You have a decent processor for the buck you paid, but upgrading is like putting a new engine in an old tired car. It does great for what it was.
You will see footboards listed from time to time. For now have a riot programming the effects as a rack unit.

no no no no no

There are a few different midi control petals that will trigger the Legend. But your best bet is to keep an eye on E-bay or something for the specific Legend or legend pro petal. I have no clue if the newer foot petals will screw things up or not.

Noise will come for certain from shitty cables. The cables that the store toss in for free are useful for next to nothing audio related. Also keep an eye on both the input and output knobs on the GSP. But dear god buy some cables.

As far as effects looping goes, I have to ask why bother? One tends to use a loop when they want to condition the signal in two seperate fashions. Are you adding other effects to seperate amps? If not then using the loop is pointless. But to verify, push the utility button a few times to see what it says about your loop, weather or not it even recognizes it. Digitechs are noisy. Eliminate all extra units and connections.

ive been readin this post with amusement as to how little ppl know about the gsp 21 . pro or LEGEND models
there all the same controller for the foot controller theres two versions but are basically the same,no othere controllers will work with this unit because of the 6 pin configuration in the processor and the foot controller are the same............. so in essence the foot controller and the processor are seperate and ya need to connect both units via a 25 foot 6 pin cable , looks like a s video cable but its not , its way smaller,,that being said..... as far as the other posts i read concerning the legend chip software upgrade, well im here ta tell ya there is none, theres some guy online who has a ton of old chips that hes putting stickers on and sellin for pennies on the dollar up to 20 dollars, there bogus , the guy says that hes licenced by digitech to sell the software up grades but the truth is digitech has never heard of him , i know this to be true because i called digitech myself to find out, the truth is that digitech revers those particular chips as so old they cant make em anymore due to the fact that no one makes the blank chips anymore either, they have the templates with the legend info on them but they have no usable chips to imprint the data onto , so you could use it.....the guy ii spoke of earlier who was selling those bogus chips , well hes caused a few of his customers to totally fry their gsp units when they installed the bogus chips , even after replacing the old chips the unit was fried. so hint hint .( DONT DO IT!)

sorry ta be a killjoy but the truth hurts sometimes..............

I had one of these. I would only use the reverbs/delays/modulation effects. I hated programming the thing most of all. I would try running it through your effects loop on your amp if you have one.

ive been readin this post with amusement as to how little ppl know about the gsp 21 . pro or LEGEND models
as far as the other posts i read concerning the legend chip software upgrade, well im here ta tell ya there is none,
so hint hint .( DONT DO IT!)

At Vbratta
I did !!
It is legit chip. I had a 21pro version 1.3 I think.
Now I have a Legend version 2.3

I bought it from this guy Digitech GSP21 - GSP21 Pro - GSP21 Legend Main Page
and he is LEGIT.
anyone thinking about upgrading their gsp21...Don't be scared to order from him.

I ordered it on 03-04-2015 and got the chip Today :-) 13-04-2015...
Works like a CHARM it me took 3 minutes to have a Legend version 2.3.

Sorry ta be a killjoy but the truth hurts sometimes.............. :) :)

View attachment SP32-20150413-201639.bmp

Back