Digital Multi-Meter's

buryher17

I have recently started adding rack effects into my live set up and I have realized that the input/output of my Tone Works DTR2 has a TON of noise. I am going to go to my local Home Depot and buy a DMM to test the inputs/outputs, however, I'm not sure what would be the appropriate level that should be read.

Also I want to test my BBE 362. Will all rack unit input/outputs have the same readings? Or should they be different for each unit? Thanks :D

I hope you haven't left yet... A digital multimeter from Home Depot is not going to help you troubleshoot a noise problem on a line level signal...

I hope you haven't left yet... A digital multimeter from Home Depot is not going to help you troubleshoot a noise problem on a line level signal...

i havent' gotten a DMM yet. I was told to get one and test to see the impendance of the inputs/outputs that way? What would you suggest? I'm pretty upset because I spent a pretty penny on this rack tuner so I could keep it in my rig at all times, and it's KILLING my signal with all this noise

OK, go slow, and use words of two sylables or less. It looks like you are using drum mics, and you have a Korg tuner? Why? And a Sonic Maximizer?
A DMM will measure DC resistance, and tell you if you have continuity to your cables. Well, it will measure voltages, too, but for now concentrate on the resistance aspect. This ain't impedance in any way, shape, or form.
Anyway, what the heck are you tuning? What's the exact hook up sequence? If it's mic/preamp/power amp, and the power amp has a loop, are the tuner and BBE in the loop? Something isn't making sense, but I'm all hopped up on Dayquil right now.

OK, go slow, and use words of two sylables or less. It looks like you are using drum mics, and you have a Korg tuner? Why? And a Sonic Maximizer?
A DMM will measure DC resistance, and tell you if you have continuity to your cables. Well, it will measure voltages, too, but for now concentrate on the resistance aspect. This ain't impedance in any way, shape, or form.
Anyway, what the heck are you tuning? What's the exact hook up sequence? If it's mic/preamp/power amp, and the power amp has a loop, are the tuner and BBE in the loop? Something isn't making sense, but I'm all hopped up on Dayquil right now.

I'm am beyond confused on your entire reply haha

I play Guitar. I have a Korg DTR2 tuner and a BBE 362 sound enhancer hooked up into my 6505+ through my avatar 4x12. My whole point of this post was that the DTR2 tuner is makign a ton of noise. I have used these tuners before and they never produced this much noise, therefore I think my inputs/outputs may be dirty or need to be replaced.

In the process of trying to figure this out, I was suggested to buy a DMM to test the amount of power coming out from the inputs/outputs. My question to everyone was "How much power should run in/out of the this unit".

what kind of noise is it? Hum? If so, it could be a ground loop or something.

Have you tried a minimum of components, like just the tuner and an amp, to see if the problem's still there?

Is everything plugged into the same wall circuit?

I'm am beyond confused on your entire reply haha

Well, all the drum mics, triggers, and pads listed confused me, so we're even.

I play Guitar. I have a Korg DTR2 tuner and a BBE 362 sound enhancer hooked up into my 6505+ through my avatar 4x12. My whole point of this post was that the DTR2 tuner is makign a ton of noise. I have used these tuners before and they never produced this much noise, therefore I think my inputs/outputs may be dirty or need to be replaced.

The Avatar won't have anything to do with this, I promise. The Peavey 6505 is just a 5150 using an alias. They were always noisy. But assume it was never as bad as with the Korg. I would start with a divide and conquer attitude. Just plug the 5150........ er, the 6505 into the Avatar, and your guitar into the 6505. Sounds acceptable? Put the tuner in the FX Loop. It's just simple TS 1/4" cable here. There's no adjustment for Send/Receive levels, but the Send is -10dBV. It should work, and not be noisy, or any noiser than before. I sometimes only put a Send cable to the tuner. If all is well, take the tuner out, and try the BBE. Same deal; use the FX Loop. If that seems OK, try the tuner and the BBE together. Put the tuner first. So, Send to the Korg, and the output of the Korg to the BBE. The output of the BBE now goes to the Return. Does that sound right? Go to Input 1 on the Korg, and Output from the Korg to the BBE.
If that makes it worse, plug your guitar into the Korg, and the output of the Korg into the Peavey, and the BBE goes in the Loop by itself.
I doubt it's a ground problem or a cable. I think it's a mismatch of levels, and how the effects are patched into the signal chain.
Oh, the DMM I suppose can measure AC signal out, but what will that help? I don't get that at all.

how are you routing

guitar>tuner>bbe>amp

or

guitar>amp>(out through fxloop)>tuner>bbe>amp

I believe the 6505 has a preamp out on the back, regardless of which way you have it routed you could remove the tuner from the signal chain and connect it to the preamp out... thus no more noise. Not a fix but a decent workaround:)

Well, all the drum mics, triggers, and pads listed confused me, so we're even.

lol...I'm pretty sure that's just gear he lists in his signature.

By the way, I wish I could help you buryher17, but I have no idea what the answer to your question is. Did you fix it yet? :D

(lol@ "I wish I could help you bury her...)

(lol@ "I wish I could help you bury her...)

HAHA Unfortunately I have not figured out the issue as of yet. It got a little quiter with new cables, however it is still huming more than usual. I understand the 6505+ [or the rerelease of the 5150 II] has a lot of noise, but I've used MANY of these amps, and they never had this much noise [it only happens when I plug in this tuner anyway].

As for the idea mentioned above, that makes a lot of sense! I'm definately going to plug it into the pre and see how it works. I have used it through my bus channels however it still made noise. As of now I am running it in this order

Guitar > Tuner > BBE > NS2 > 6505+ > Avatar

I know there is no issue with the avatar speakers, they have v30s and are only 2 years old, they wouldn't make the hum issue anyways. I have a feel the output on my tuner is just bad :-\

Thanks everyone! :D

Back