Difference from Behringer SL3242FX & Behringer MX3242FX mixers??? And whats AD/ATAD?

Blue_Eagle_Rise

Difference from Behringer SL3242FX & Behringer MX3242FX mixers??? And whats AD/ATAD?

Hey everyone! :)

I was checking out the large Behringer mixers (I want to get a 32 input mixer) And the only thing I think I noticed about these is the MX3242FX has "british EQ"... What are the differences of these mixers??

Also, what large format mixers do you recommend?

And what is A/D/A/D/A/T whatever all that stuff is, technology?

What I want to do is use this singal path

Behringer SL3242FX PRO MIXER > Behringer 6200 2-channel 31 band equalizer > Behringer 4400 4-channel compressor > Behringer ULTRAGAIN 2200 mic pre amp >

Then get one or two REALLY NICE quality tube mic pre amps & then whatever eles I might need/what/ You guys recommend.

OH YEAH BABY!!! Thanks for the advice in advance.

I've got the SL3242--it's great for what it is: a bunch of really affordable inputs. I use it live all the time. But I wouldn't use it to record. Nor should you need to.

Mic > Preamp > Interface > Computer

Unless your mixer has really special preamps (and the Behri mixers don't), it doesn't need to be part of your signal chain. Everything else that a mixer does (EQ, levels, umm...mixing) is best done in your software after the track is captured.

Hey guys, sorry I thought I mentioned the main focus point but, I didn't.

I need a large mixer to be able to RECORD 18-24 MICS ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Please explain what you ment about the mixer "not having special pre-amp" I think I got your point but, I'm not sure.

Again, does anyone know what the difference of the MX & SL are?? I don't know what "MX" & "SL" stand for.

On top of the, please adivse the best way to mix-down all the inputs on the SL3242FX down into a recorder.

I would vigure a recording this mixer on a computer would be the best option & not using a stand-along digital recorder (Like my YAMAHA AW16G, which I made another thread about you can check out too!)

Also, the "2 REALLY NICE TUBE PRE AMPS" Means like....in 4 years I'd buy $2,500 tube pre amps or something hahah.

I just got my BEHRINGER ULTRAGAIN PRO 2200 in the main today & I presonally think it is fantastic so, I wouldn't mind buying another 1 for the price I paid & maybe getting the other more expensive BEHRINGER 2-channel TUBE pre amp that people recently made a thread about on here.

Thanks for the help, please advise!!!

WhiteStrat's advice is sound: you use a preamp after the mike and before the interface, so your proposed configuration is not going to do you much good.

If you need to record a lot of tracks simultaneously, then you need to do either of the following:

1 Get a big desk and mix down to stereo which then goes into your PC (which I think is your broad plan).

2 Get a big interface and record each channel separately into your computer.

Unfortunately, 2 is very expensive compared to 1, though it is better for working with individual tracks after recording them.

How important is it that you have a large number of tracks recorded simultaneously? If you think this through carefully, you may find that you can get away with a moderately priced, smaller, interface (e.g. a Firepod or similar) and a smaller desk. You can then submix some stuff on the desk (e.g. a drum kit), and feed other stuff directly into the interface, and then your preamps might become more useful (e.g. vocals > mikes > preamps > interface).

Hey gecko zzed, I accidentally said "my signal path Mixer > eq > compressor > etc."

What I ment & should have said was "This is the equipment I'm going to use to record" lol.

Meaning Instrument > mic pre amp > EQ > compressor > mixer > recorder interface

So on the #2 option you listed it sounded like you mean record like 1 track at a time. Or I didn't understand, please explain bro.

I need to record like 18-24 mic all at the same time.

So its like instruments > 24 mics > processors > mixer > ??????? > recording interface.

So at that unknown whats the smartest way to do it. The only thing I could think of was bussing all the tracking inside the mixer than sending the signal with the stereo out into the recording interface & have that be a stereo pair track.

And if I end up using a computer interface, that will be running through only a 1 or 2 channel box (fire wire, apogee), correct??

So it seems like my only option computer wise is > mixer > buss 24 tracks > 1- channel computer box > recording interface.

Help me out, how to people normally send their 5-8 drum mics for computer recording???

Hey I re-read what you said.

So do they make large input boxes for computer recording??

Thats why I was confused, I thought they only made like 1-2-4 channel input computer boxes.

Its fairly easy to get 24 channels into a computer. You could have...

3x 8 channel interfaces (Firepods? Motu 896?)
3x 8 channel ADAT interfaces (Focusrite Octopre? Behringer ADA8000) into an ADAT card or ADAT interface (Firestudio Lightpipe?)
A fancy digital desk with all the I/O built in?
Protools HD + several of the interfaces?
Analogue desk running inline with an interface like a Motu 24i/o?

Thanks mattr, I'll check out those products & see what I can learn. I saw the Behringer ADAT8000 the other day but, didn't pay much attension to it.

3 Behringer ADAT8000s chained together will give you the number of tracks you need, and send them INVIDUALLY to your computer, meaning you will have that many tracks to work with later rather than just a stereo track from your mixer outs.

Its fairly easy to get 24 channels into a computer. You could have...

3x 8 channel interfaces (Firepods? Motu 896?)
3x 8 channel ADAT interfaces (Focusrite Octopre? Behringer ADA8000) into an ADAT card or ADAT interface (Firestudio Lightpipe?)
A fancy digital desk with all the I/O built in?
Protools HD + several of the interfaces?
Analogue desk running inline with an interface like a Motu 24i/o?

Hi...I believe that the most flexible option I have seen here, on this particular thread, is the last one on this list.....best monitoring options, playback and individual mixing capabilities...probably the cheapest too!...(I'm Biased...I run the MX8000A with the Motu,)...easy to setup and it continues to have ZERO issues!..anything you can think of it can do....(within reason!)

oh yeah...I think the MX series run 'Panansonic' faders???..(or so I have read somewhere?)
And I have no complaints (for the money) with the MX's 24 built in Pre-amps...they're fine.
I certainly couldn't afford a similar number of "Gold" channels!! (I occasionally record 14-16 ch at once)..I ALWAYS use 24 on playback!!
I probably should invest in a couple of nice 'strips', just for vox and acou instruments....$$$$
Cheers!

Last edited:
Back