DBX 286s under 0db compressed?

Stuartd

Hi all,

Current equipment for live streaming;

R0de Procaster > DBX286s > TRS into Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 > PC

As I am live streaming I need good levels but I don't want to peak above 0db and clip, as the compressor on the DBX has drive and density rather than a threshold, do I just set the drive as high as I need to in order to keep the level below 0db?

The DBX has a gain reduction of 30db, so go as loud as I can and then set the drive right up for the gain reduction?

The compressor is designed to be used for the sound of it, not as clip protection. I don't know of any way to guarantee digital safe levels with that unit. The right tool for the job would be a brick wall limiter in line right before the converter.

But I bet simply compressing fairly heavily and experimenting with the output gain you can find a setting that works well enough.

I could use a Beyringer MDX2600 Pro Xl as a limiter and set the DBX 286s as the preamp only, they are fairly cheap.

What I have been doing is setting the levels to around -12db in Audacity when talking to leave enough headroom and then bumping up the gain in my broadcasting software but I don't think it's sounds great doing it that way. So I'm looking for a way to have good audio levels without clipping or having to adjust software gain.

I was tempted to return the DBX and Focusrite and go for the following;

Beyringer X1622 USB > MDX2600 Pro XL compressor > PC

This setup would have a peak limiter, I might still have to increase the boost in my software but it wouldn't peak when I laugh.

Not sure if I should swap or leave as it and just boost my non clipping levels in the broadcast software.

I would keep the compressor in the chain ahead of the limiter. They are doing different things, both of which are probably desirable. And a proper interface is preferable to using the stock sound card.

Why don't you set up a digital limiter on the master track on Audacity? I mean, if you laugh loudly, the RMS value is going to rise and it will be perceived as louder, but it won't clip. For the compressor, I'd just set a lower threshold and a higher compression ratio to combat the crazy variations in amplitude. You could even run two compressors in serial if you wanted, with the second one being a higher threshold but much more aggressive ratio.

Back