DBX 286A Preamp

C4th

Hi. Just looking for a bit of advice.
Im trying to record vocals using a DBX 286A Preamp but having a few problems.
My set up is Rode NT1A into the DBX and then into my Tascam DP24 portastudio.
While the sound is better than what i was using before, i still cant quite get the hang of it.
No matter what i do, my vocals sound very dark and dull, very lifeless.
Also i cant seem to get my vocals at a consistent level. I use the compression on the pre but it either dampens my vocals so much
or seems to makse the load parts good and level but quieter parts almost inaudible.
Any setting advice or help you may have will be much appreciated
Thanks

How are you connecting the DBX to the Tascam- the DBX's Line Output or the DBX's Insert using a Y-insert cable?.

Try these settings I use with my NT1-A, as a starter and tweak to taste: (these are spoken, vocal settings, not sure how loud you are singing)

Gain:+30
Comp: 3 drv. / 3 dens.
De-Ess: 0/0
Enhance: LF-1/HF-4
Exp/Gate: -30/one notch past 2:1
Output at zero and below depending on the volume

Thanks for your reply.
Im connecting the DBX to the Tascam using the DBXs line output to the Tascams input.
Thanks for those settings, will give that a try. I may have been over compressing to try and smooth my vocal out too much,
going by the settings you have suggested.
Thanks again.

You're welcome, Cap'n.

Those settings should give you a good starting point. Add the adjustments from left to right, until you get what you are looking for in sound output. A little goes a long way on my 286, so I tweak sparingly.

Let me know how you are getting along with your settings.
D

PS: Since I have not used the portastudio, I pulled the manual on the Tascam to see the connections. I assume you are connecting to the Tascam's rear panel Line Input, switched to "Line" instead of "Guitar."

And what would this do? :confused:

I do have a DBX286s and use it occasionally with a Tascam 2488NEO with several different types of mics. I can't say I have any problems of "dark and dull, very lifeless" recordings.
Both the 286A and Tascam are capable of balanced output to input connections using a TRS 1/4" cable, which would be recommended to use. A TRS cable would not necessarily remedy your problem, but ensures a cleaner signal connection.

It changes the loading characteristic of the mic pre.

But I never liked that pre. except to di a bass.

Back