DBX 166XL Vs. DBX 1066

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
What are the major differences between the DBX 166XL compressor/limiter/gate and the DBX 1066 compressor/limiter/gate besides the cost and the "automatic" setting on the 1066? I have read over the specs, but because I don't know diddly squat about these types of devices (compressors, limitiers, and gates), I can't figure out what sets them apart from one another. I'm thinking about getting a 166XL (or 1066) to use as a gate for recording snare and possibly kick to reduce mic bleed during recording.

Thanks!

-mr moon

Blue Bear Sound said:
Tom Cram (DBX) mentioned that the compressor circuit is identical in both, but that is the only similarity as I recall......

Is gating a "standard" technique to deal with mic bleed when recording a drum kit, or is it better done after tracking with various gating plug-ins? (computer-based DAW rig) In your opinion, would the 166XL be quick enough and musical enough to be able to handle this task?

Thanks!

-mr moon

Actually - the odd time I use gating (mostly for Live-Off-The-Floor sessions), I have an Aphex 105 quad gate which works very well... I like the DBX166xl for tonal compression on rock guitar/vocals, but the gates are pretty coarse - not sonically - but in terms of usability.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Actually - the odd time I use gating (mostly for Live-Off-The-Floor sessions), I have an Aphex 105 quad gate which works very well... I like the DBX166xl for tonal compression on rock guitar/vocals, but the gates are pretty coarse - not sonically - but in terms of usability.

I just read over at GS that the limiter in the 1066 is much smoother and less abrasive than the limitier in the 166XL. I think for the time being I'll just work on micing technique rather than trusting a nib-nob to take care of it. ;)

...GAS attack most likely will be averted, whew!! :D

-mr moon

The limiter in the 1066 is quite a bit smoother than the 166. That and a few small extra features (key inout etc...) are the primary differences. I would avoid gating during tracking at all costs. You can never really recalim something that has been lost due to a closed gate, or even worse, a half opened gate.

xstatic said:
TI would avoid gating during tracking at all costs. You can never really recalim something that has been lost due to a closed gate, or even worse, a half opened gate.

Thanks mate! That's the kind of stuff I need to hear!

-mr moon

Back