DBX 166xl or the Behringer t1952?

ghetto3jon

i've used the 166xl, and i really like it...but i admit, i've been sucked in by flashy appearance and low price of the t1952 (please don't respond just for the sake of bashing a behringer product).

so has anyone used to t1952? i know it's not a REAL tube comp, but how does it sound? should i stick with the basics, and buy the 166xl, or is the behringer worth a shot?

if you've used either of these products, and can help me make a choice, i would be greatful.

and please, leave the rnc out of this...i just have the opportunity to get the dbx or the behringer at a very good price...

I'd stick with the 166xl, very nice unit for the price,an industry standard...as far as the behringer never tried it but the 166xl has been very useful in my studio.

thanks for the reply. you're right...i'll probably go with the dbx...but i'm going to wait a bit and see if anyone can report any hands on experience with the behringer.

I have the T1952 and I bought it 2nd handed for $135 in Holland (they're new $400 over here!!!).
I use it for my drumcomputer (Boss DR Rhythm 670) all the time to fatten up the kick and snare, and without much character it works great in this application.
The Tube warmth however is just some high-end that get's added, and I never use it past 12 o clock on a snare, since it'll get too piercing.
I've tried it once on a clean electric guitar and that sounds great as well, endless sustain. The gates/expanders work good, only when set completely clock wise, they occasionally click and pop.
Also it's hard-bypass, so with the unit powered off, it'll still send through the signal.
I've heard some folks say that if you replace the internal Sovtek 12AX7's with Groove Tubes or Mullards, it'll sound a lot smoother.

There is some minor crosstalk/bleed between the 2 channels occasionally, so that's a bad thing as well.

The peak-limiters however work great! So, if you like to have an extra compressor/limiter with a nice expander thrown in, that has great vintage looks, get one. That is, if you already have a RNC.

I've heard that the cheaper dbx compressors have a real character sound, they're not really transparent. The Behringer IS.
Aside from some minor flaws (fake toob sound, crosstalk) it's a great unit. And let's face it, we ALL LOVE VU-Meters!!!! ;)

T1952 woes

hi folks,

I used to own a T1952.
got it second hand at such a good price that I just couldn't pass on it.
owning quite a variety of compressors, I was able to A/B it with a couple of other machines and plugins.
the contenders were:

neumann U473a
dbx 160VU
telefunken U373a
dbx 118
joemeek VC1Q cs
ashly SC-50
altec 1612a
UAD-1 LA 2A and 1176 emulations
behringer T1952

the result?
exactly in the order I mentioned the comps.
the behringer was not even good (or bad) enough to add some color. only on some hefty limiting on bass guitar it was OK but still a long shot away from the joemeek f. e.

the verdict:
you better go for some wisely chosen vintage cheapo gear like the dbx 118 (40 bucks) or ashly SC-50 (60 bucks).

side note regarding the UAD vintage plugs:
although they were able to impress me at the first go, they tend to lose tightness and punch in the context of a full mix. hard to describe - but they somehow lack balls.

just my 2 (euro-) cents.
cheers,

michael

Back