DBX-160 vs DBX-903

I think it's the same thing but stuck permanently in over easy mode (the 903 I mean). and no vu meters, just led metering. too bad my 903s aren't passing compressed audio any more.. I really want to figure out how to fix them but haven't gotten out the test equipment yet.

Don

dkelley said:
I think it's the same thing but stuck permanently in over easy mode (the 903 I mean). and no vu meters, just led metering. too bad my 903s aren't passing compressed audio any more.. I really want to figure out how to fix them but haven't gotten out the test equipment yet.

Don
Don did you get the email I sent you?

I was basically wondering if you had found any plug-ins that came close to the sound of the 160.

Fishmed_Returns said:

I was basically wondering if you had found any plug-ins that came close to the sound of the 160.

dude, actually, no I didn't get it! send away, or pm me and I'll return my er=mail addy.

and I have never bothered to try to find a plugin that sounds like the 160 since I own them in hardware (well, 903s... as per this thread's topic, as close as I can come in my own studio). I will try to now, although it'll be hard since I can't AB with the real thing until their fixed. gotta rely on my memory and ears.... physiology, don't fail me now!

Don

Fishmed_Returns said:

Antress VBME

http://www.modernplugins.in-tw.com/

Website asks you to download Chinese language pack (which might scare you... don't worry thre site and plugin downloads are safe) just click cancel.

The SStillwell Major Tom compressor found in Reaper claims to be 160 inspired as well.

www.reaper.fm

I don't own a DBX 160VU, but I do own a vintage 162 and a pair of vintage 903 modules (silver sided). The 903's sound darn good, but not quite as good as the 162. It's kind of hard to say in what way, but the 162 just has a little more bloom on the sound. It's close though.

I prefer the older silver sided 903's over the newer versions. Again, it's subtle, but the older units have that little extra mojo to them that the newer non silver sided ones don't quite seem to have.

SonicAlbert said:
I don't own a DBX 160VU, but I do own a vintage 162 and a pair of vintage 903 modules (silver sided). The 903's sound darn good, but not quite as good as the 162. It's kind of hard to say in what way, but the 162 just has a little more bloom on the sound. It's close though.

I prefer the older silver sided 903's over the newer versions. Again, it's subtle, but the older units have that little extra mojo to them that the newer non silver sided ones don't quite seem to have.

I agree about the silver sided, nicer overall.

and I must correct an earlier statement I made. the 160A (not vu) is to me closest in sound to the 903 modules. Also I think the same circuit but the 903 is permanently in over easy mode.

Sorry for the confusion, i've been having a bad week that way.

and that doesn't surprise me too much about the 162, that's a nice comp. I think both the 903 and 162 are under rated.

Cheers!

If we are going to get really picky, it's the original 160X that's the closest. The 160A is much more comparable in sound to the later non-silver sided versions of the 903 cards.

To me, the older DBX units had a slower more rounded sound, whereas the newer versions of the same units have a faster more modern sound to them. If that makes any sense.

SonicAlbert said:
If we are going to get really picky, it's the original 160X that's the closest. The 160A is much more comparable in sound to the later non-silver sided versions of the 903 cards.

To me, the older DBX units had a slower more rounded sound, whereas the newer versions of the same units have a faster more modern sound to them. If that makes any sense.

you're probably right, I Agree about the descriptions. don't have much 160x experience though so will take your word for it.

thanks!

Don

Back