The dbx 1066...

Re: dbx 1066

I use the dbx 1066 for compression/limiting after a Grace 201 preamp during live organ and choir recording. I've found it easy to dial in settings that have resulted in clean recordings. The PeakStopPlus limiter is much better than the PeakStop limiter in the lower end dbx166xl. The 1066 has allowed me to record hotter levels wihtout digital overs. I think it is a fairly transparent compressor.

is it a real big step up from the 166XL ?
or is that limiter the only big difference?

i got a DBX 166 ,and a 166A

i want another one since i like them,
so i'm looking at the XL or the 1066

Farview said:
It has the dbx sound.

It sure does... and the "dbx sound" is something I've been doing my level best to avoid like cancer for 25 or so years now. Good lord that's some nasty / grainy sounding shit. IMNTLBFHO, dbx stuff sounds harder than a coffin nail, and way less musical... but as always... YMMV.

1066 in perspective

I agree with Fletcher that there are better compressors available. The 1066 is not in the same league as an Avalon 2044, nor is it as much "bang for the buck" as the little RNC. However, when carting equipment around for live recording it is 20 lbs lighter than the Avalon and has +4 db balanced I/O and dual mono operation as opposed to the RNC. I've found it very useful in that setting and has given me good results when used for light limiting. When it comes to 2-buss final mixdown I do pull out the Avalon. Of course as Fletcher say, YMMV.

Fletcher said:
It sure does... and the "dbx sound" is something I've been doing my level best to avoid like cancer for 25 or so years now. Good lord that's some nasty / grainy sounding shit. IMNTLBFHO, dbx stuff sounds harder than a coffin nail, and way less musical... but as always... YMMV.

Wow! Harsh. I personally don't mind a 160X behind most pre's for tracking out of control vocalists. It sure smokes the comp on a Drawmer 1960!

mhhh,, there's a little difference in price between avalon and DBX , no?

can't wait till they make the RNC in DUAL CHANNEL !!!!!

The only real difference between a DBX 1066 and the current 166 is the limiter. They both have one, but the 1066 has peak stop plus instead of peak stop. However, I would save the money and get the 166. If you are recording you ought not need a limiter. You really should just get the compression and gain structure correct.

earworm said:
can't wait till they make the RNC in DUAL CHANNEL !!!!!
They do...

It's called "you have to buy two". ;)

Seriously, I would love it if they came out with a dual channel AND balanced ins and outs.

mhhh,
the peak stop limiter...does that really do a big job?
i mean... isn't it a little bit like a redundant function on the unit?
or is it just me...i never payed lots of attention to that button...
i use my 166's for compressing and gating, i'm never really sure what to do with the limiter since i don't notice that it really works...

and well, at first i couldn't believe all that was said about the RNP...
seems like a Hype ! but i'm getting so curious about them,;
but i stick to it, i only want them as dual channel, or they should release a cheaper mono version, would be perfect for me,
oh hell,,,, a balanced dual channel RNP with a simple gate....
and i'd go buy one right now :rolleyes:

xstatic said:
The only real difference between a DBX 1066 and the current 166 is the limiter. They both have one, but the 1066 has peak stop plus instead of peak stop. However, I would save the money and get the 166. If you are recording you ought not need a limiter. You really should just get the compression and gain structure correct.

You're wrong. I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. The 1066 has better components and sounds better than the 166. If you don't believe me when I say it is different check out the specs.

Thats quite possible that I am wrong. However, Tom at DBX is where I got that fact from.

As far as the peak stop and peak stop plus limiters go, they do work. I just think that limiters on tracks is not really the way to go. I believe in getting the gain structure right instead. At a certain point limiters in a mix become a little more usable, but NEVER during tracking for me.

yeah true, i track at pretty "low" levels ,,,, i feel real safe around -6 db (in average),
then i can boost the hell out of it on my computer,
but i love to record Jam sessions, then i just play for hours and most of the time i'm drumming....that means that i can't be tweaking my equipment all the time, so some extra safety measures make me feel more comfortable then...... and hell...jams are for fun.....cds are for the people :D

Back