A/d D/a

MadHatterTCM

Eternally Striving
What are most people (who are not using protools) using for their adda? I have a firepod but want to do something better. Say I bought an analog pre- what's the best way to hook it up to the computer? Also, if the pre had a digital out - would it be best to use the digital out and into the firepod, or analog output in the firepods in.

I guess that's two questions.

1. What's a better a/d d/a
2. What's the best way to use outboard preamps on with something like a firepod.

MadHatterTCM said:
What are most people (who are not using protools) using for their adda? I have a firepod but want to do something better. Say I bought an analog pre- what's the best way to hook it up to the computer? Also, if the pre had a digital out - would it be best to use the digital out and into the firepod, or analog output in the firepods in.

I guess that's two questions.

1. What's a better a/d d/a
2. What's the best way to use outboard preamps on with something like a firepod.

I use RME converters, but I have a few other brands and some pres with a/d built in. I can hook them up either way as you described. One day I A/B'd them and while I could tell some difference in tone and dynamic feel, those differences were very minute (minor.) I had to listen closely to even detect them.

I think there is no "better" way to hook things up. It's all about the way they sound. I guess my point is that if you end up with more than one set of converters, A/B them for yourself and decide which ones you like best.

I use a Universal Audio 2192 for AD/DA, and a Benchmark Media DAC-1 for DA. The UA has a very "analog" sound to it, for lack of better word. The DAC-1 is detailed and precise sounding. Both sound great in my opinion.

They digital I/O of the converters is connected to the digital I/O of my sound cards.

I have a Lucid ADA 8824 for A/D and D/A and DA and a mytek 8x96 for A/D. The digital IO of both these are connected via ADAT to my Tascam DM24 which routes it to my DAW via a firewire connection (Tascam IF-FW/DM)

For the price range the Echo layla 24/96 has some of the best converters out there and for $300 or so used it's an awsome deal but, no pre's. Makes it easy for hooking up external pre's though.

Also has adat & spdif & bnc/word clock sink up.

If not the layla I would likely go motu.

F.S.

Some converter guidelines:

1. Most converters made today are good quality.

2. Small incremental upgrades in converter quality will yield very small returns
in audio quality. You really have to spend substantial money to hear a
substantial difference in converters.

3. Converter upgrades will be lost on those without a quality monitoring
system and educated ears.

4. Built in A/Ds in preamps are generally good, but nothing special.

I use Lynx converters for D/A and for my gold channel A/Ds, M-Audio and Tascam converters for other stuff.

Robert D said:
Some converter guidelines:

1. Most converters made today are good quality.

2. Small incremental upgrades in converter quality will yield very small returns
in audio quality. You really have to spend substantial money to hear a
substantial difference in converters.

3. Converter upgrades will be lost on those without a quality monitoring
system and educated ears.

4. Built in A/Ds in preamps are generally good, but nothing special.

I use Lynx converters for D/A and for my gold channel A/Ds, M-Audio and Tascam converters for other stuff.
+1 Converters are very important but will only produce a quality output... with a quality input, and minitoring that will reveal the difference

I use an M-Audio Delta 66 card with Omni I/O and don't worry about it. It sounds just fine when everything else does

Cheers,

Otto

M-Audio Delta series are good for those with a limited budget. I use a 1010 for vocal and small projects. I use an Apogee Rosetta 800 for mixes with lots of tracks (more than 5-6 tracks).

Soundmind?? said:
M-Audio Delta series are good for those with a limited budget. I use a 1010 for vocal and small projects.

Yeah, it's really pretty insane. I bought my Delta 66 a couple of years ago with the Omni I/O box for just over $200. I was doing only wide track analog stuff at the time, and I just bought the Delta for copying 2-track mixes over to digital format. But the unit also includes 2 decent low-budget preamps (think DMP3), 4-channel analog I/O, S/PDIF, and a master control section with headphone outputs, monitor outputs, and recorder outputs. Plus, I got a limited version of Ableton Live that let me buy the full program for about half price.

With what I have in front of it in terms of a good recording space, accurate mikes and good preamps, I'm getting good sounding tracks, so I have no particular urge to spend more. About the only minor annoyance is that the M-Audio runs on a 9 V adapter, is basically an unbalanced unit and can only handle about a +14 dBu signal peak, which means the other gear has to be carefully handled to avoid overloading it. I use the same old bank of unbalanced fixed pads I made up for the Mackie 1604 when mixing the hot outputs from a pro analog machine.

I wouldn't mind having a higher quality interface, but I can't justify the expense right now. At some point I would like to have a good FW interface to do location recording with my laptop, and there are a lot of good choices for that now.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
I wouldn't mind having a higher quality interface, but I can't justify the expense right now. At some point I would like to have a good FW interface to do location recording with my laptop, and there are a lot of good choices for that now.

Cheers,

Otto

Me too but, I just oppted for another (this makes 2) layla 24/96 used for $210.00 I figure in a year or so I will be able to get a used firewire for around that price hopefully.

F.S.

Last edited:
On the Dallas Craig's List, and on eBay, I saw some Tascam DA-30 Mk II DAT recorders for sale at around $100 or so. Some had bad DAT transports, but you'd have some nice A/D and D/A converters for cheap.

Harvey Gerst said:
On the Dallas Craig's List, and on eBay, I saw some Tascam DA-30 Mk II DAT recorders for sale at around $100 or so. Some had bad DAT transports, but you'd have some nice A/D and D/A converters for cheap.

That's a good one Harvey. I considered that. A studio I used has one MOTU unit and two ADAT's (that he used to use) synched up to the motu. Very cheap way to get 32 tracks if your interface allows. There's alot of cheap adats out there used.
I've seen them pretty much mint for around $250 in these parts.

F.S.

fraserhutch said:
I have a Lucid ADA 8824 for A/D and D/A and DA and a mytek 8x96 for A/D. The digital IO of both these are connected via ADAT to my Tascam DM24 which routes it to my DAW via a firewire connection (Tascam IF-FW/DM)

Did you notice difference between the conventors in the Lucid and the ones in the Tascam DM24... How are the DM24 convertors ?

Back