Customer service goes a long way

Alan,
Is picking up surrounding sounds typical of a LD condensor mic, or is the JM47 I have (circa 2001/2002...bought it from you in a NAMM Demo Trak Pak in Feb. 2002) overly sensitive to doing this? I love the JM47 tone, even a/b'd it over the weekend against a GT55 (which had similar tone, a little less warm and a little less hot), AT4033 (which seemed to over accentuate, or be overly sensitive to, mid frequencies), and Blue Baby Bottle, for my vocal tone and style only, which I am the only one I record. I chose my JM47, the GT55 a close second because, like you said, it sounds good to me and for me. Curious still about the C series mics and the T3. Unfortunately there is not really a convenient place to go here that I can get a good comparison session going amongst microphones. Could you describe the the character of the C3 and T3 compared to something like my JM47, generally speaking of course?
Man, I just realized I am still posting this in the Rack, not the Mic forum. Sorry everyone. Want me to move it over there or is this OK?

alanhyatt said:
Well since it is the same body it was decided to add the suffix like AKG does. This is what we did, so it is not changable. Sorry!

No need to apologize, it doesn't bother me personally! I just thought a model number change might save you answering a lot of unneccessary questions down the line. Something as simple as "JM48" for example.

SonicAlbert said:
No need to apologize, it doesn't bother me personally! I just thought a model number change might save you answering a lot of unneccessary questions down the line.

Yea, but then he'd just have to answer a whole lot of unnecessary questions about why the 47 and 48 look the same. :D

Seeker of Rock said:
Alan,
Is picking up surrounding sounds typical of a LD condensor mic, or is the JM47 I have (circa 2001/2002...bought it from you in a NAMM Demo Trak Pak in Feb. 2002) overly sensitive to doing this? I love the JM47 tone, even a/b'd it over the weekend against a GT55 (which had similar tone, a little less warm and a little less hot), AT4033 (which seemed to over accentuate, or be overly sensitive to, mid frequencies), and Blue Baby Bottle, for my vocal tone and style only, which I am the only one I record. I chose my JM47, the GT55 a close second because, like you said, it sounds good to me and for me. Curious still about the C series mics and the T3. Unfortunately there is not really a convenient place to go here that I can get a good comparison session going amongst microphones. Could you describe the the character of the C3 and T3 compared to something like my JM47, generally speaking of course?
Man, I just realized I am still posting this in the Rack, not the Mic forum. Sorry everyone. Want me to move it over there or is this OK?

The old JM47 was pretty sensitive. Way more than the new ones coming, but LD mikes are generally pretty sensitive as a result of the actual size of the diaphragm. We are very happy about the new JM47a's performance however, it is not as sensitive as the old ones.

The C3 is quite different. Really the opposite of the JM47. The T3 is warm and airy because of the tube, but it is not as dark as the JM47. So descriptions do not always do justice to microphones as room conditions and other factors have a lot to do with the sound and response of a microphone, as do the operator and talent. The C Series mikes are not dark. they are bright because there is a good deal of energymoving around in the upper frequency bands. For many this is a good thing, and for some it is not.

I would rather not EQ microphones, but if I have to, I prefer to EQ out then EQ in. Different strokes for different folks.... :)

alanhyatt said:
I would rather not EQ microphones, but if I have to, I prefer to EQ out then EQ in. Different strokes for different folks.... :)

I agree. This is why I prefer something that sounds good with what I record flat with minimal tinkering, at least in getting the source onto tape. Maybe the exception is the compression in the "recording channels" I use on vocals with a little on bass, because those of the hardest instruments for me to control. Anyway, the JM47 and GT55 are both good fits to the tone and style of my vocals.
Oh yeah, why I started this thread...you guys are still giving great customer service and I really appreciate the support you've given me with Joemeek products.
Thanks, man. :)

alanhyatt said:
The JM47 we have sold in the last 16 months is a very different type of mic than the C3. The JM47 has a transformer output, so it is darker in its sound and has a airy top end. The C3 is more bright with uncolored midrange and a good low end. Each mic has it advantages on different applications. What works for you is what you like.

Having said that, there is a new JM47a that will start to ship in 45 days. This is a whole new design by Brent Casey. Same body, different capsule mount and all new electronic circuit design.

The old JM47 is very sensitive to surrounding sounds.

SPAM...........

but looking forwarding to hearing this one......

Back