Creating cable extensions

I'm looking to buy some decent iso. headphones for tracking. Because of how I have to route cabling to my other room due to me sharing space with the rest of the house, I need a pretty long cord to go out to where the instruments are. My mic cables are all 50 feet.

Anyway, when I buy the headphones, is it possible to pick up some speaker wire cheap (the kind with bare ends you use for stereo equipment) and solder on jacks to both ends? My only question about it is whether using this kind of wire is somehow bad for any of the equipment...seeing as I'm not aware of any place around here that stocks cabling I could use for soldering.

You can buy cheap headphone extension chords at radio shack. I have a couple laying aruond and they get a lot of use/abuse. Pick some up.

Hosa makes a 25' headphone extension. I would suggest however that you take a line level signal over a balanced run into the room. Then get a small headphone amp in that room from which to take the amplified headphone out. Sending a say 1w headphone signal over 50' is not the best thing to do, and depending on the impedence of the phones you plan on using you may not find the results to be in your favor.As far as the balanced run. do not use the headphone out in the control room area, use an aux send or main mix or control room mix out.

Ditto the headphone amp. This will give you volume control at your finger tips rather than trial and error, running back and forth getting the level just right. A real cheapie which will get the job done won't cost you a lot more but will give you a better set up.

Well, I have two headphone outs on my board...but I have a few more options to use that aren't being used yet (monitor busses, etc). I guess my headphone amp in the board is about 4 watts.

I have a little Behringer Eurorack 802 I guess I could stick out in the room I'm tracking in and use that for the time being. It's not too big of a deal, because at the moment it would be just me, so I have to run back and forth anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I think I might of actually found a place that will sell cabling so I could solder on my own jacks, if I want to do this 50 foot run (because I severly hate adapters and having to use a bunch to connect a couple of runs together).

Back