Crackling in the cans using a Carvin H400 Headphone amp

tzer

Can anyone offer some insight into why we are getting an awful crackling in the headphone using the Carvin H400 Headphone amp?

I am sending the outputs 1 and 2 from the Delta 1010 to the Carvin Channel A Left and Right Ins.

I don't think the input signal is too hot but it is coming directly from the Delta with no mixer in between.

I have sent that same signal (Delta outs 1 and 2) to our power amp and studio monitors setup and it is clean and clear at all volumes. But when I send the signal to the Carvin everyone gets a small, but present crackling when anyone plays with energy.

Help, please.

Does the crackling dissapear at lower gain settings?
Have you tried a different source into the headphone amp?
I'd start there...

Does the crackling dissapear at lower gain settings?

If you are referring the the gain per channel on the headphone amp (volume to the phones on each channel) - it appeared to go away, but it was actually still there when we listened closer.

Have you tried a different source into the headphone amp?
I'd start there...

We did not try a different source. I sent the source to a different output system (power amp + studio monitors) and it was clean there, but I did not try a different source to the headphone amp. I will try that.

Thanks!

Check for hair inside the cans, it can resonante and create sounds when touching the diaphragm.

I am sending the outputs 1 and 2 from the Delta 1010 to the Carvin Channel A Left and Right Ins.

I don't think the input signal is too hot but it is coming directly from the Delta with no mixer in between.

It's still possible you're over driving the HP amp. It might not have the headroom like your power amp does. Does the Delta have an ITB mixer/router like my project mix I/O? Check your levels there and adjust. Not to mention check connections, cords, and obvious things like that. I've gotten that same crackle during higher dB just with bad solders.

If you are referring the the gain per channel on the headphone amp (volume to the phones on each channel) - it appeared to go away, but it was actually still there when we listened closer.
Nope... the gain at the input... overdriving??
...but I did not try a different source to the headphone amp. I will try that.
Good

You could just be overdriving the headphone outputs. If the Carvin is as bad as the Berhinger I had that's probably the issue. I finally upgraded to a Furman system and I can crank the cans loud enough to make your ears bleed.

Make sure you don't have any bad cables in the chain.

Back