Connecting PreAmp to Compressor

TommyJ1112

Hi,
I am trying to connect my mic (Rode K2) to my PreAmp (The Brick) into my Compressor (RNC) into my Digi002.

Here's where I'm not sure what to do...

The output from the Brick is balanced (XLR). The RNC however only takes in unbalanced inputs. So how do I unbalance my connection so I can use these two peices of gear together?

(I do have a Neutrik Balanced patchbay, is there any way to use that to unbalance the signal?)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Ok, maybe this is a silly question, but do they make XLR to unbalanced 1/4" cables? I have a XLR to Balanced TRS 1/4" ... and that is not a good thing going into the RNC.

Thanks for your help!

:eek: good point. I forgot it was wired for the TRS, in/out thing....

I know they do make xlr to 1/4" TS cables because a long time ago I used one to go from my sm57 to my 4track, and it actually worked.

TommyJ1112 said:
Ok, maybe this is a silly question, but do they make XLR to unbalanced 1/4" cables? I have a XLR to Balanced TRS 1/4" ... and that is not a good thing going into the RNC.

Thanks for your help!

Here's the contents of an email I sent to GT's tech support about the same issue. They agreed with it all, I made the patch cable, and have used it successfully.

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how I should connect my Brick preamp to my FMR RNC
> compressor so that I don't damage either piece of gear. FMR's product FAQ
> said that I should connect the brick to the RNC *only* via an unbalanced
> connection. It stated that I should go from the balanced output (of the
> brick) to an unbalanced XLR-1/4" patch cable, then into the unbalanced
> input of the RNC.
>
> FMR's FAQ here: http://www.fmraudio.com/faq.html
>
> The FAQ strongly recommended that I confirm that this will not damage the
> gear which I'm plugging into the RNC via this method, which in this case
> is the Brick. Here is how they suggested the patch cable should be wired:
>
> RNC 1/4" Plug______XLR Signal/Pin #
> Tip.....................->.....HOT (pin 2)
> Sleeve...............->.....COLD (pin 3)
> Sleeve...............->.....Ground
>
> Is this correct? Please advise.
>
> Thanks!
>
>

Hope this helps!

-mr moon

youl be fine i go from a pre to it alot via a bay. doesnt seem to run it hot. only time ive had a prob doin this was tryin to go unbalanced into a 1176 and it just wouldnt push it.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I was able to find an unbalanced XLR to TS 1/4" cable, like you suggested MrBoogie, and that worked out pretty well. Hosa makes some cables already wired like this. I think the Hosa cable will work well enough for me, until I can learn more about wiring my own cables using some better components, like you mentioned Mr. Moon.

ok, now to hijack the thread;

i'm thinking of getting me a brick + dbx 160x for vocals,
does anyone think this will be an upgrade from my symetrix 528 ?
i find the 528 nice for recording vocals, but it just isn't superquiet,
you can get some hissing if you push the volume, besides that it works very nice, so i just wonder,
is there anyone out there with this signal path? brick-160x ?
would love to hear some thoughts on this,
thanks,
earworm

I just went through this with my RNC. Redco (www.redco.com) makes cables that are TS <-> XLR. I had them make me up the equivalent of Mogami Gold, although they have various options. Good company to deal with (and no, I don't work for them).

Back