Connecting mixer with interface ?

siog

I'm moving on from a simple two-channel USB interface (UA25-EX) and investing in a mixer with 8 XLR inputs and a separate USB 2.0 audio interface, also with 8 XLRs. Now, here's my idiot-problem :rolleyes:

How do I link them up? Must I connect each channel (in use) from mixer to interface with separate XLR cables - or is there a simpler way?

Each channel on the mixer should have an AUX send for you to use to tap the signal from the mixer and send into the interface. Turn the knob to select how much of your signal you wish to tap and put a a cable from AUX send on the mixer into one of the channels on your sound device.

Redundant, redundant, redundant...

Why would you buy an eight channel mixer to feed into an eight channel interface?

Either skip the mixer entirely, or buy one with an interface built in (make sure it supports more than two audio channels to the computer).

Each channel on the mixer should have an AUX send for you to use to tap the signal from the mixer and send into the interface. Turn the knob to select how much of your signal you wish to tap and put a a cable from AUX send on the mixer into one of the channels on your sound device.

That's not gonna accomplish 8 discreet outputs from the mixer to the interface.

It's impossible to answer your question without knowing details of the mixer you're buying.

If you haven't purchased it yet, put your need for discrete outputs at the top of the pile when choosing. A good many USB mixers only feed two channels to the computer. However, there are a few (I've seen the Alesis Multimix 16 mentioned as one) that feeds individual channels. It's critical that you look at the mixer capabilities before spending your money--a lot of cheapie mixers, even with USB, limit you to two outputs.

You either want something with multichannel USB or a mixer with direct outs on each channel plus an eight channel sound card.

Bob

Your analog mixer should have an 1/4" "insert" for each channel. You'll only use the "send", since nothing will be returned. For each channel run a cable from the insert to the input on the interface. A snake helps here. The insert is pre-fader, so you'd have to mix it in the DAW as well as your analog mixer (assuming here that you are looking to record a live performance).

Your analog mixer should have an 1/4" "insert" for each channel. You'll only use the "send", since nothing will be returned. For each channel run a cable from the insert to the input on the interface. A snake helps here. The insert is pre-fader, so you'd have to mix it in the DAW as well as your analog mixer (assuming here that you are looking to record a live performance).

...but as c7sus says this would be redundant if, as we guess, the USB interface with 8 XLRs has 8 mic inputs. The main advantages I see (and post about) for using a mixer are having faders for easy setting of levels (nullified if you use pre fader insert jacks, forcing you to set levels on the gain trims--and we don't know if his interface can handle 8 line level sources which is what the insert jacks will provide) and setting up good headphone monitor mixes (not possible without bringing the DAW output back into the mixer, and we don't know if this is possible until the OP tells us about his mixer).

Bob

...but as c7sus says this would be redundant if, as we guess, the USB interface with 8 XLRs has 8 mic inputs. The main advantages I see (and post about) for using a mixer are having faders for easy setting of levels (nullified if you use pre fader insert jacks, forcing you to set levels on the gain trims--and we don't know if his interface can handle 8 line level sources which is what the insert jacks will provide) and setting up good headphone monitor mixes (not possible without bringing the DAW output back into the mixer, and we don't know if this is possible until the OP tells us about his mixer).

Bob
Hi !! I was searching the web trying to find out how to connect an analog mixer through an interface into a DAW in a Mac and I found this forum with your comments
Maybe you can help me . I have a Yamaha emx 5016cf , this is an analog powered mixer that I use for live performances also I have a Focusrite saffire 56 interface.
I will like to be able to record in the DAW while the band is performing live.
What will be the best way to do it?
Tks in advance

Your options are pretty limited.

The Yamaha mixer doesn't have direct outs so you'd have to use the insert jacks (with special cables--but they're available). However, your interface is designed to take (and do a good job with) mic level inputs and the insert outs will be unbalanced line level. It'd be a shame not to use the excellent Focusrite pre amps. I suppose you could take the insert outs to something like a Behringer ADA8000 then use the ADAT inputs on the Focusrite--but again it's a shame not to use the Saffire pre amps.

If it was me, I'd get an 8 channel mic splitter and feed separate outputs to the Yamaha and the Focusrite. There are various splitters on the market--some are dedicated splitters and others are part of a stage box/multicore combo (if you're in the market for a new snake!).

Hi!! Bobbsy
Tks for your help
I think tt a splitter is the way to go as you said.
I just check in the web a Seismic 16 channel XLR only send splitter. I dont understand exactly how it works ,but it has a box wit XLR ins and a par of cables going out of the box with XLR terminals on it.
Do I need a send -return splitter or just a send splitter?
Do you think tt this will do the job

Tks

Back