compressors? limiters? gate?

hardcore guy

hi. im kinda new to the recording. i dont really have any equipment just a tascam four track to make cheap demos of my band. i just read a lot and research a lot about recording because it interests me. im only 16 but i was thinking of someday finding a profession in the field of recording. well my question is, i dont understand the funtion of limiters and gate, i kinda understand what a compressor does but i dont understand how it is used. i was thinking of buying a little nano-compressor to make a demo on my four track but i dont really know how it is used. please help me out- thanks- jordan (hardcore guy)

definetly read shailats and sonusmans articles ... i did some time ago and they explain things well. Basically , if you were to try and associate a compressor with a certain predicamant in recording then it would have to be when u look at an uncompressed waveform , then look at compressed waveform ... no more spikes ! well a lot less anyway . Im not a wizz with my compressor but im starting to use it to correct specific problems , while before i would just compress everything cos i thought it was whats done .. which i spose most commercial music recieves a large dose of compression. I was shocked when ripping a few songs for comparisons while mixing , that they are absolutely at the max they could be ... well i only say this is cos they peak over zero only occasionally , well every five secs or so. I could actually see how multiband limiting could have achieved this .. It was all a very uniform sound .. Ive basically found compression is able to raise the volume of the lower signals and limit or decrease the volume of the louder passages .. Then an output gain can raise the entire signal ..thus eliminating those harsh peaks and valleys..Someone correct me if that sounds way wrong .. BUt to be sure just read those two articles ,very informative..
spider

Back