Compressors with Gates (?)

Gear_Junky

How important is it that a compressor have a gate in it? Or is it any better to have a separate gate unit? The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering whether to get a Behringer Multicom, which is a 4-channel comp with no gates or 2 Autocoms or Composers, which would each have gates. Thank you for help.

Gear_Junky said:
How important is it that a compressor have a gate in it? Or is it any better to have a separate gate unit? The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering whether to get a Behringer Multicom, which is a 4-channel comp with no gates or 2 Autocoms or Composers, which would each have gates. Thank you for help.

Well, the reason that Compressors have gates-is to cut out noise on the quiet passages.

How noise are your recordings generally?
That's really what it boils down to.
I've thought of buying 4 Multicoms to use as brickwalls aka limiters to get maximum signal on tape, but no peaks.

Tim

What Goes Down Comes Up

Compressors don't just prevent signals from going over the threshold,they also bring low level signals up to the threshold,so in between the notes of the sound you want to compress,you'll hear the pumping of the noise from the signal source (mic,guitar,mixer etc.)trying to get up to that level,unless you put a gate in line to stay "shut" until the GATE'S threshold is crossed.So the trick is to balance thethreshold where the comp kicks in with the threshold of the gate.Cheers!

Re: What Goes Down Comes Up

virtual.ray said:
Compressors don't just prevent signals from going over the threshold,they also bring low level signals up to the threshold,so in between the notes of the sound you want to compress,you'll hear the pumping of the noise from the signal source (mic,guitar,mixer etc.)trying to get up to that level,unless you put a gate in line to stay "shut" until the GATE'S threshold is crossed.So the trick is to balance thethreshold where the comp kicks in with the threshold of the gate.Cheers!

I know, I have a few. But that's all I would use a Behringer for; other than that, I think their gear is generally junk.

Tim

I don't find much use for the gate on the compressor but gates for drums etc usually have to be better gates than the ones on compressors. They have to have control over attack time -not just fast and slow - they should ideally have a hold function so you can hold the gate open regardless of threshold - and have a variable release. I'd get the compressors and get a couple of good gates later
cheers

behringer stuff

behringer stuff isnt bad. some stuff they got right some stuff is average. the multigate is cool

I agree kristian. I use 4 Behringer comps and find them
most useful. Otherwise,I am not a big fan of Behringer also.

Back