Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Comp B

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Can't tell a difference

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

famous beagle

Hey y'all,

I wanted everyone's opinion on two different compressors. This isn't an ideal test, because I tracked through them, so it's a different take for each compressor. I tried my best to replicate it exactly, but of course there are subtle differences.

At any rate, I'm hoping to hear which one everyone prefers (if at all).

Any specific feedback (why you like or dislike, etc.) is welcome. This was tracked straight through as follows:

SP VTB1 > compressor > interface

No EQ, FX, or mastering, etc. has been applied.

After most people have voted, I'll reveal the compressors.

Thanks!

Edit: I suppose I should mention, just in case it's not obvious, that it's the bass here that I'm talking about. :)

Attachments

• Comp B.mp3
    360.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Comp A.mp3
    360.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
B - bass sounds more articulate. With the A clip, it's almost as though the attack was getting swallowed up.

Of course....you do realize that with each comp you get a gazillion settings that will all yeild a different result...so I'm not sure if those clips are really the best way to decide which comp is better for your bass sound....and for what given situation.

B - bass sounds more articulate. With the A clip, it's almost as though the attack was getting swallowed up.

Of course....you do realize that with each comp you get a gazillion settings that will all yeild a different result...so I'm not sure if those clips are really the best way to decide which comp is better for your bass sound....and for what given situation.

Thanks for the input. Yes I know there are tons of variables. I did my best to make sure the gain reduction was as close as possible on each. I mainly just wanted to see if there was an obvious difference in the color/clarity of the sound.

I think B has a rounder knee. I would probably like A better in a mix that included other things, because it leaves more space, but I bet you could still hear the bass pretty well. If it's a bass/drums only song, then B is maybe better because you can hear more of the bass.

I went with A, assuming there will be more tracks.

I couldnt tell a difference. Both sounded good to me. Listenbed about 4 times each, using headphones.
Pretty subtle if anything.

Thanks for all the replies y'all. Here are the two compressors in question:

A = DOD R-825
B = DBX 163x

Both are unmodded, although I have since made a slight modded to the R-825, so I'm curious to run the same test to see if it made a difference.

I must say, though, I'm pretty impressed with the DOD. IMO, it holds its own pretty well against the DBX, and it's not so much a question of "better or worse" but just "different." Got it for $30. :)

Back