compressor/reverb

countdowntofail

I am a recording musician and rarely perform live so I prefer equipment that best serves a home studio.

I have a presonus FP10 that I use as an interface. I use both Mac and PC for recording but use Logic on the mac the majority of the time. I was thinking about getting a compressor or reverb rack just as something to play with. I would most likely be using this on vocals for the majority of the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something that is on the lower end of the price scale (less than 250 or so) that you would recommend.

I saw musicians friend has a mackie compressor on sale that is much more expensive elsewhere
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...Channel-Digital-CompressorGate?sku=180313#new

This would not be the go-to compressor, and since it's digital, you'd probably better suited to stay in the box with plugins (and miss the conversion in and out)... but honestly, I've been intrigued by this box box for a while... especially at $50 a channel now... anyone used this?

Mackie can be so heah... with some products...

If you really just want a compressor to mess with, then look at the RNC or RNLA from FMR audio. They're both around the $175 range and they're both great, though I'd start off with the RNC because it's more transparent.

Frank

If you really just want a compressor to mess with, then look at the RNC or RNLA from FMR audio. They're both around the $175 range and they're both great, though I'd start off with the RNC because it's more transparent.

Frank

I was looking at them at the website and was a bit confused how I would use the RNC in my setup. If i have how would I hook up XLR connection microphone to RNC before bringing it to my FP10 which plugs into my computer?

Thanks!

I was looking at them at the website and was a bit confused how I would use the RNC in my setup. If i have how would I hook up XLR connection microphone to RNC before bringing it to my FP10 which plugs into my computer?

Thanks!

You wouldn't. Use the inserts for chan 1 or 2 on the back of the FP10. Plug the pre-amp output for chan 1 into the input of the compressor, then the output of the compressor to the line input of chan 1. That would route your mic through the comp after the pre-amp. Only thing that sucks about the RNC is that it has unbalanced connections only.

presonus_firepod_fp10.jpg

You wouldn't. Use the inserts for chan 1 or 2 on the back of the FP10. Plug the pre-amp output for chan 1 into the input of the compressor, then the output of the compressor to the line input of chan 1. That would route your mic through the comp after the pre-amp. Only thing that sucks about the RNC is that it has unbalanced connections only.

presonus_firepod_fp10.jpg

Awesome thanks! I am new to the more complicated setups so I wasn't sure how this all worked out. Judging by the reviews online I think the RNC is the way to go for me.

In addition the Mackie I mentioned above is no longer on sale and is back up to 399.99.

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot. You asked about reverb too. No question, the best steal on a great reverb is the... cough, choke...Behringer 2496 V-Verb on sale at musicians friend for $79. It's crazy good. I know, I know, Behringer. Check out the threads on this unit here and at gearslutz. Many people on this forum have them, including myself. They sound really, really good, and not just for the price. They sound good. The model has been discontinued, so when musicians friend runs out, it won't be possible to buy a new one. You could get the RNC and the V-Verb both and stay within your budget.

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot. You asked about reverb too. No question, the best steal on a great reverb is the... cough, choke...Behringer 2496 V-Verb on sale at musicians friend for $79. It's crazy good. I know, I know, Behringer. Check out the threads on this unit here and at gearslutz. Many people on this forum have them, including myself. They sound really, really good, and not just for the price. They sound good. The model has been discontinued, so when musicians friend runs out, it won't be possible to buy a new one. You could get the RNC and the V-Verb both and stay within your budget.

Thanks for the info. I did buy the RNC and the Behringer 2496 2 weeks ago. The RNC sounds awesome! I only got the Behringer 2496 yesterday so I haven't played with it that much yet, but it seems very flexible. Lots of options!

Thanks everyone for your help

I just used the 2496 "Big Drums" patch on a mix yesterday. I had to carve out a couple dB in the 250-350 range, but after that it sounded amazing. Smooth, long decay times...there's nothing like it anywhere near that price.

Frank

i just bought a Behringer compressor mdx 1400, Whats the diffance between that Behringer and a digital compressor through pro tools or fruity loops? and i don't think it works because it make high pitch sounds when i turn the knob that the digital compressor don't make is there a way to perfectly tune the compresstion

i just bought a Behringer compressor mdx 1400, Whats the diffance between that Behringer and a digital compressor through pro tools or fruity loops? and i don't think it works because it make high pitch sounds when i turn the knob that the digital compressor don't make is there a way to perfectly tune the compresstion

There's no way to answer that question. Compression settings vary with every...literally *every*...application. I'm not sure what you mean by "high pitched" sounds...how do you have it patched in?

Frank

thanx for replin my question
i have an m-audio preamp and i have that output jacked in to the in put of the Behringer compressor mdx 1400 and ran back through the m-audio so i can hear directly for ajustment but the Behringer picks up sound for the computer source that i have linked through usb so im tryin to find a way to solo out my voice while in direct feed to fine tune the compresstion of my voice

thanx for replin my question
i have an m-audio preamp and i have that output jacked in to the in put of the Behringer compressor mdx 1400 and ran back through the m-audio so i can hear directly for ajustment but the Behringer picks up sound for the computer source that i have linked through usb so im tryin to find a way to solo out my voice while in direct feed to fine tune the compresstion of my voice

Dude...punctuation is your friend. I can't even read that.

Frank

Back