Compressor plugin advice requested:

I'm going to buy a few plugins before the year is out. Regarding compressors - about which I know next to nothing - I want to know which type to buy for - mostly - vocals, but also overall duties. I see that compressors tend to be emulating hardware legends: LA-2A & 3A, FET 1176, etc.. Which way would you lean for a first off-DAW compressor.
Thanks for any suggestions.

The LA-2A was (still is) one of the ultimate vocal compressors. Big footprint though - A very recognizable action. The nice thing is that it's also ridiculously simplistic. So going that route certainly wouldn't hurt.

But other than that, maybe try Tokyo Dawn's Kotelnikov -- Freaky amount of control -- a bit of a learning curve also if you're not familiar -- But amazingly good - and a free version is available.

Thanks very much for that.

I think I'll demo an LA-2A and an LA-#a. They seem to be the Neve and API of compression, so to speak.

DC8C Overview
I'll toss this one in.
Regarding compressors - about which I know next to nothing - I want to know
First off it's incredibly deep, and while this can be a downside, on the surface, it also does all the upsides;
Tons of starter presets
Will go' and do almost anywhere a compressor might need to go
Which means you get a full learning tool kit to work in along the way
Dirt cheap
And sounds fantastic

Youtube search:Power Compression Course Class 1 Preview: Dynamics Processing Primer (Michael White) and Waves Audio channels Sound Basics with Stella

the KLanghelm and the LA2A, simple big knobs my fav, maybe just lazy but there it is...simple = enjoyable?

Attachments

• Compressor VST Klanghelm.png
    Compressor VST Klanghelm.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 14
And, if you have GarageBand or Logic Pro X, you get one for free! (It's called Vingtage Opto - full UI is only in Logic.)
7-vintageopto(hidist)-LA_2A.png

P.S. We are talking software plugs here, right? Shouldn't this be in the Digital... forum, or am I confused about what "The Rack" means?

PlugIns might save the Rack thread from obsoletion... lol

19", 500 series...Virtual Digital Rack? 1" size Rack gear?

Digital Rack gear I like the term..... my LA2A plug has rack ears and holes, so its like rack gear but also not like rack gear? hmmm...

to be honest the Klanghelm set was like $29, its been voted up and I dont use any other comps since that.
when I track I toss on the LA2A and squash for effect.

like many say tracking with lower levels/volume you dont hardly need the compressor in tracking anymore, theres no tape hiss to worry about.

probably smarter to put it on during mixing.....leave a nice clean clear crisp virgin track thats performed well.
I bought the compressors tracking and set at 2:1 INVISIBLE mode and it didnt really make sense then you wonder how much "crap" am I adding to the chain. You cant take off "crap" when mixing either.....

Im kind of an expert on "crap" and doing things the wrong way to prove others points. lol

Attachments

• Neve LA2A.jpg
    Neve LA2A.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 16
The la2a and la3a are great compressors for individual tracks, and would probably be the first thing I would advise getting. The 2 and the 3 are essentially the same type of thing. One was tube and the other solid state, so they had a different tone, but essentially the same type of behavior.

For a first compressor with more control over the behavior, I would recommend the 1176. It can go from very subtle to distorted smashing that makes drum busses sound huge.

After those two (which have personality), the standard compressors in your daw will probably work for normal compression duties.

TThe 2 and the 3 are essentially the same type of thing. One was tube and the other solid state, so they had a different tone, but essentially the same type of behavior

The more gear I buy and demo and work with, the more I like the solid state sound and the less I like the tube approach (except in guitar amps.) Maybe its the low quality of gear I use. My taste perhaps seems less warm and fuzzy and more clear and fine, perhaps like outer space. (Was that profound?)

The la2a and la3a are great compressors for individual tracks, and would probably be the first thing I would advise getting. The 2 and the 3 are essentially the same type of thing. One was tube and the other solid state, so they had a different tone, but essentially the same type of behavior.

For a first compressor with more control over the behavior, I would recommend the 1176. It can go from very subtle to distorted smashing that makes drum busses sound huge.

After those two (which have personality), the standard compressors in your daw will probably work for normal compression duties.

Theres a Lindell 1176 too that added a "mix" knob, the rack is obsolete but sometimes found $499. Maybe the KT1176 for used $420 is as good without all the Tube business to deal with.

The more gear I buy and demo and work with, the more I like the solid state sound and the less I like the tube approach (except in guitar amps.) Maybe its the low quality of gear I use. My taste perhaps seems less warm and fuzzy and more clear and fine, perhaps like outer space. (Was that profound?)

very profound. outer space.... I cant say Ive ever heard anyone describe sound as "outer space".

Ive never tried hiend tube either, but SOS did the mammoth preamp thing and the ART MPA II was extreemly well received (at least before the blindfolds were removed). And I have tried those and it was clean and not overdrive and I liked it.

But to try a 6176 or LA610 would be a treat, I'll probably get one soon at least to test out maybe a used one from GC, and eat the shipping costs.
My real issue is my needs and skills are so low its hard to keep anything except plugins and cheap outboard. Am I going to have a 6176 sitting idle for 11 months out of 12? and the plug ins are often very close , cheaper, and can be slapped on numerous tracks....but still one outboard strip to rule them all blahblahblah...

Back