compressor/limiter settings

mutt

I just bought a Behringer MDX4400compressor for our band to use with our stage set up. I got it because we have two main problems with our vocals -
1. Our female singer goes from her regular volume during the sound check to hyperdrove when she gets crankin'. Even with a sound man, it usually clips and distorts in the monitors.
2. One male singer has a "soft" voice that really needs something to level it out and boost the low parts.

The Behringer manual must have been written by someone from MIT. It has a lot of great info on sound waves,etc, but what it doesn't have is a recommended starting setup for vocals. Can someone tell me a good starting point for the different settings? Each channel has:
1. -40 to +20 threshold knob
2. 1 to 10 ratio knob
3. -20 to +20 output knob
4. 0 to off peak limiter knob
5. An interactive switch from hard knee to IKA (I guess soft knee) characteristics.

What might be a good starting point for all of these knobs and switches for the female vocals live?

mutt

There's an excellent concise summary on compression that probably can assist you in
most compressor applications.
Visit. wwwdrawmer.com .

I'm in the same position, more or less, as mutt. I tried the drawmer site, but couldn't get into it. Can anybody suggest some starting settings? I bought this piece of metal and knobs because of otherwise good takes being ruined by clipping when recording.

How about:

* -30 threshold

* 2:1 ratio

* push the 'auto' button and let attack and release take care of themselves?

dobro,
first and last of the techno minimalists

Back