Compressor

iownrocknroll

I am looking for a compressor in the $400 dollar range.

My use for this would be vocal tracks. I am looking for something with moderate compression settings. I have the API plugins which I like a lot. I Would like to find something to help me get me more consistant levels going into my DAW

Any suggestions? I am not apposed to buying used

I was thinking DBX 160, RNC?

I like a compressor after my mic pre as standard practice, and I'm using Summits. I tried my Alesis 3630 for that and didn't like it.

It seems that using a compressor on the front end has higher requirements than using one on a recorded track, don't ask me why.

A friend of mine uses a DBX 160 for that, after a Summit tube pre and he's using a U67, so that other stuff is good and maybe makes up for it. I liked the sound of the DBX 160.

I would be skeptical of using the modern cheapos on the front end or on the whole mix, but they're probably ok on stuff like snare.

You see 160's on eBay for $350, but I'd check Craigslist and try to do a lot better 'cause they seem overpriced.

If you run across the dbx117...dbx118...dbx119...they are all the same circut as the dbx160...they are all over my local craigslist.

Ok, not to diss anyone here, but I owned the Art MPA and VLA and really wasn't that knocked out by them. Kinda noisy, a little harsh. I also owned the alesis 3630 and it was a $100 unit. Ok for live gigs, that's about it. I decided it was time to step up a little. I read a lot of reviews on Harmony-central.com and researched while eating Taco Bell. So here's what i did. I found a used Drawmer 241 on EBAY for $305. Haven't regretted that one. i also own a DBX 1046. Very nice. 4 channels. Got it on Ebay for $247. ALmost got a DBX 160A, which is the only other one I would get (maybe the DBX 1066). I really want the XLR thing happening and that's why I haven't gotten back into the level of the wall wart and 1/4". I've done that since the 80's and just can't go back. The other thing to remember is make sure the "chain links" are strong all along the path. Invest in some nice cables. Geesh, getting those cheapo multi-colored thin-wired 1/4" packages just sucks the life out of a signal and robs any gains you made with a nice compressor or preamp. Get balanced gear, make sure all your gear is switched to either +4 or -10, don't mix them or you'll get some funky noise you'll blame on the gear itself. I also use a Joe Meek compressor for things like Kick drum/snare, Bass or overheads. It does add a "sound" that is cool for certain mixes. On mic-pres i actually hate to admit I use Be..Behr...Behringer, there I said it, Ultra gains. I just needed something to boost some signal into my Akai DPS 16 track for things like live drums or other things that usually hit the board a little weak. So I found three of these on EbAY for about $75 each. that's 6 channels of pre for $225. I A/B these with a Rode NTK that has it's own power supply, like a Brick. Anyway, in one channel I recorded just silent room noise for 30 seconds then spoke about whatever for another 30 seconds. Then I patched the Rode through the Behringer and did the exact same thing. I didn't use any of the EQ from the Pres, just the volume. When I compared the two I actually liked the track running through the Behr Ultra Gain. Everything was a little more defined, present, crisp and had a nice feel. So I hit a home run with these. I was going to stay away from Behringer and try to scrape up enough for an API but I'm glad I didn't. I took the extra cash and bought soundproofing blankets from Audimute.com, the Joe Meek, the compressors and those really nice patchbay cables. I will never get that recording contract I thought i deserved when I was young so if I can just get some clean signals and feel like I've stepped up in quality, I'm good to go.

Sorry to hijack the dbx theme, but the ART Pro VLA II is pretty good, and pretty cheap at the same time. Musician's Friend claims they're being discontinued, so check one out sooner rather than later. :eek:

+1

and WHAT? SERIOUSLY? THEY CAN'T BE DISCONTINUED!!!

the pro vla II is an incredible opto compressor with a tube gain stage, really really great vocal compressor for insanely cheap price.

They can't discontinue them. Man oh man, that'll just end up doing something stupid like making their used prices way higher than their new prices are.

Are you sure it's not the vla non-II that is discontinued on that website? because I know IT'S gone, replaced (not that long ago) by the even better II version.

cheers,
Don

Back