Compressor

Frankie

Hello

I just borrowed a compressor (Behringer composer) from a friend, but I have never used one before.... Could someone please tell me what settings to use on vocals??

Frankie

I just got one too. I'm assuming you're using it for recording vocals. Here's what works for me: light ratio 2:1 - 4:1, low threshold (-10 - 0) until you get an average of 4-9 dB gain reduction, auto attack and release. Adjust the output using the I/O meter and the input/output level meter. Adjust the peak limiter threshold to where the LIM lights up occasionally, then back off a bit from there.

This is just a suggestion, and I'm no expert *at all*. By the way, there's a very useful article about compression put together recently by Shailat, one of the regulars on this bbs. Check it out - there are things to listen to - very useful.
http://www.geocities.com/shailat2000

And for a clear introduction to using compressors generally, check out the dbx tutorial:
http://www.dbxpro.com/compress101.htm

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 06-28-2000).]

LOL - okay, good, but have you noticed how the recommended settings for vocals on dbx page differ from the ones I've been using? The dbx people suggest a higher ratio (6:1) and a higher threshold (maybe +10, so that there's about 6 dB of gain reduction). This way the quiet stuff gets through uncompressed, which makes some sense (why compress the quiet stuff?). I'm going to try the dbx recommendation and see what the difference is.

The vocals being the most prominant, and part that needs to be the clearest and with emotional balance (not dipping up and down) can benefit from a bit of compression.

Dobro - If you can set the compressor so that it shows NO gain reduction most of the time with a 2-4dB reduction on the LOUDEST parts only AND !! the vocals are clear ( Text wise as well) and smooth sounding in balance then youv'e got a good setting. Don't get to hung up on the settings tou read about. Use your ears.

How ever - a setting of 3:1-7:1 with a reduction of 6dB at the loudest part is a commen setting as 2:1 might not be enough.

Of course the more control you have as a singer using mic technique (compensating for the level changes by moving to and from the mic) the better.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 06-30-2000).]

Back