Compression pedal and Les Paul

witm8

Morning all,

Was just wondering what the general consensus is regarding the use of a compression pedal and a Les Paul. I'm reading lots of mixed opinions

My pedal chain currently is Guitar (Les Paul Traditional) - Ibanez Tube Screamer - MXR Phase 90 - Boss Chorus CH1 - Boss Delay DD3 - Boss RC30 loop station - Amp (VOXAC15 VR).

I was thinking of putting in a MXR Dynacomp before the amp

2qsxtad.jpg

Also, I'm getting a little buzz from this set up - is there anything that jumps out at being instantly wrong - I've browsed online and I think that I have the pedals in the correct place.

Thanks

The only reason for the buzz would be your power supply. Try it with batteries and see if it still buzzes.

Use the compressor pedal if you need it. Having a les paul has nothing to do with it. If you are looking for more sustain and/or to even out your picking, the compressor pedal will help. It has to be between the guitar and the amp to do any good. It should also be the first pedal in the chain, before the amp.

In general, pedals that add overdrive/distortion, compression, or filter the sound should be before the amp. Pedals that add delay effects often work better in the effects loop.

It has more to do with your playing style and preferences than what model guitar you play. I pretty much always like compression before any distortion, and both before the amp. I'm a lot more flexible about delays. It really depends on the combined effect you want. Putting a delay ahead of a compressor means that one echo can push down the decay from an earlier one, which doesn't happen with the delay after the compressor.

Back