Comfort Reverb when direct Monitoring

Surf's Up

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've been recording in my free time for a few years now but only recently started recording other people.

I direct monitor when recording and would like to put a splash of comfort reverb on the vocal as it comes out of the card.Just for the vocalist.

I have a delta 1010 and my monitoring signal chain is 1010 into Behringer Ultra Patch to Behringer Powerplay Pro XL and then onto studio amplifier and monitors.

The directly monitored vocal will come out as either just left or just right depending on the input I use, but the powerplay has a handy 2 channel switch so the vocalist can hear in dual mono.This allows me to patch hardware effects on just the vocal not the rest.

I'd like to patch a hardware reverb unit into the signal chain between patchbay and headphone amp.

The only hardware reverb I have is a EHX Holy Grail but this adds hideous distortion and noise to the signal chain, I'm thinking this is due to the difference between line and instrument level.

Does anyone have a solution for getting the line level back down to instrument level (and then back up again) or any suggestions for a nice Hardware reverb unit I could use for this function?

PS

Right now I'd only use the hardware reverb for this function, I use UAD-1 Card and Waves plugins for Reverb once in the Box.But if it sounded great then I'd use it all the time.

Surf's Up

I think you need to make a choice, whether to get an inexpensive reverb to use just as a monitoring reverb, or spend more money on a reverb you could use for real in your mixes as well. If you are getting one just for monitoring, then something inexpensive like the Alesis Nanoverb or a used Alesis Wedge would be a good choice. If you want something better, then prices start at about $200 for the low range of hardware reverbs.

Depending on how much you can spend, the least expensive really nice reverb is the Kurzweil Rumour. the TC M-One XL is also a good one in the approximately $500 category.

Thanks guys

Thanks guys

I think I'm gonna go for a cheaper ebay unit,you see alot around and I wondered why people bought them, I'll get something better if I'm disapointed or people complain about it, I try in general to have as little out board as possible,mostly I have to say becouse of my lack of space but I guess this is a hardware only scenario.

Thanks again

Surf's Up

yeah, really, the only "easy" way to do this is with a hardware box. i'd check out the aforementioned Lexicon or TC M300 boxes, and just run your vocalist monitoring through the verb. either the Lex or TC box will give you a usable delay too, which some vocalists also like to hear.

but absolutely, almost all vocalists perform better with a splash or two of reverb in their monitor mix.

cheers,
wade

If you are going cheapest possible on eBay and still want some decent quality, then I would say that the Alesis Wedge would be a great choice, as would the Nanoverb. You could get studio out of the Wedge as well, it's the best reverb Alesis put out in my opinion.

Yeah Looks like I'll start looking now and pick something up in the New Year, I'm coming round to the idea of getting something that I can use as my main reverb possibly or an alternative to the Waves, UAD plugins, although I love them, I'm thinking if I'm gonna give up some studio real estate to a rack unit I should get something I'm gonna enjoy using.

I'll keep my eyes open and cross reference with some earlier threads.

Thanks again

Surf's Up

Back