Clarett 2Pre from Focusrite

Robert27191

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have been using a Focusrite 2i4 for a number of years and it has always served me well. I'm really interested in the new Clarett range, mainly based on the fact that the mic pres are meant to be a different class, particularly when the Air function is switched on. The I/O is fairly similar (two less Line Ins) and it is pretty much what I'm looking for.
I record mainly piano and vocals, and so the possibility for genuinely improved mic pres is of real interest to me.

Has anyone used any of the Clarett range and can report on the sound? I know they are fairly new but would like some user reviews if there's anyone out there.

TIA

Robert

I have yet to hear from anyone using the Clarett range yet - I'd be interested to hear also. I've heard good things but they don't seem hugely popular with people who post in forums.

The 2pre looks like quite a nice unit - it will almost certainly be a definite step up in every way from the 2i4 (I'd be surprised if it wasn't tbh). You'll get 2 less outputs, but all the line outputs are on 1/4" jacks so they might actually be more useful.

It's probably worth looking at low end 'colour' preamps if you are looking for a vocal preamp - it's a different market but unless you are having problems with latency with the 2i4 it's worth looking into.

I've heard good things but they don't seem hugely popular with people who post in forums.

It's probably worth looking at low end 'colour' preamps if you are looking for a vocal preamp -

What have you heard negative? I've only read some stellar reviews about the units - interested for some balance.

Could you suggest a colour pre? Never been down that route so a total noob!

I haven't heard anything negative per se - I just don't see as much chatter about them as I expected to given the level of advertising/marketing that's been put out. They are relatively new though, so that could be it

They market the pre's as sounding like the ISA range when the 'air' button is hit. I did a bit of reading suggests that the air button is an analogue EQ/filter after the input stage that mimics the tonal balance of the ISA's (a bit more top end, a bit less low end).

I suggested the 'colour' preamps as they might give you a different 'flavour' without being necessarily better, it would might be a more noticable difference straight off the bat but it depends what you're looking for. Quality can be quite difficult to quanitfy sometimes.

Back