Clapton's TBX / Mid-boost tone via Pedals?

gvdv

Hi,
I am interested in trying to get as close as possible to emulating the electronic part of Clapton's tone.

I know that much is in the fingers, but I am talking here about the tonal soundscape which the active mid-boost and TBX controls in his Strat create.

I, however, do not want to add these or similar designs to my guitar; rather, I would prefer to try to achieve this tone via the use of pedals.

There are pedals out there such as the Claptone (by the Cara company) which are quite expensive, and there are designs for tone circuits which people have posted on the net - once again, though, the tone circuit ideas involve adapting/modding guitars, which is what I want to avoid.

(And I know that Digitech has produced the 'Crossroads Eric Clapton Pedal', but it does not seem to be aimed at approximating the more recent version of Clapton's tone, which is the one that I am interested in).

I am more interested in hearing from people who have achieved at least a good approximation of the mid-boost/TBX tone via not-so-expensive pedals, if that is possible. Do you use a graphic equalizer in conjunction with a mid-boost to get this kind of sound? Or perhaps another pedal combination?

Looking forward to hearing about people's experience.

Thanks,

I have an EC Strat. 98 or something. I've never recreated that sound with any other guitar/pedal combo. The Lace Sensors probably contribute a lot to the tone also. The Crossroads pedal I got broke shortly after I got it but tbh I never got into the tones.

I have an EC Strat. 98 or something. I've never recreated that sound with any other guitar/pedal combo. The Lace Sensors probably contribute a lot to the tone also. The Crossroads pedal I got broke shortly after I got it but tbh I never got into the tones.

Hi ido1957,
Many thanks for your reply.

I must say that I have been liking the sound of the Lace Sensors, and those seem to be what he was using around the time of the 'Bob Dylan 30th. Anniversary Concert Celebration' in which I love the sound of EC's guitar solo on the collective performance of 'My Back Pages'.

Thanks for mentioning this, as I had been thinking about the Lace Sensors as part of his sound, but from a bit later.

All the best,

gvdv.

Back