Cheap Compressors/Limiters and their potential mods

Enoch Porch

Hi there,

I heard there's a three-step mod that can be done to the ART levelar that makes it a pretty stellar piece of gear for the price. "bypass all 8 electrolitic signal path caps,
change the 5532 vactrol driver to a high current chip, and R32 to 50k." Greek to me, but the results sound beneficial. Namely, changing the ratio to 4:1 instead of 6:1.

1.) Anyone know who I can hire to do the mod?

2.) Do you have affordable compressor/limiter recommendations? This is primarily for recording vocals and mono piano tracks. Maybe a couple other things; my musical saw and ukelele.

Thanks!

If your going to pay a sparky to do those mods to a cheap compressor . I guess the cost would depend on the type of pub ( printed circuit board) if its a smd ( surface mount device) board where the microscopic componants are put on by a computerised machine . It may be dearer than buying a better compressor more suited to your needs.
if you do it yourself . If you have the skills it might be worth it but I'd still be weary.
Check yellow pages for and electrical engineer otherwise
Good luck

Hey Kip! I haven't heard the word Sparky in a long time.

About 15 years ago I had a guy who moved here from England and I employed him for a few years who turned me on to that phrase ... that is what I called him from that day forward.
He now works in New York as the A1 on the show Orange County Choppers.

A good sparkys worth a mint.
I'm glad i reminded you of that Moresound.
Happy days

Back