chalemeon labs 7602 vs. summit audio 2ba-221

statixx

helllo hr, im currently shopping for a workhorse vocal preamp and i would like to get some fellow opinions. If you had to pick one or the other as a preamp to track vocals and vocals alone which one would you pick? i feel like these are two of the best pres you can get at the 6/7 hundred dollar price range, am i correct? the fact that the cl is a neve clone is intresting, but how much does it really sound like a neve? ive heard people bash the pre saying its only high point is its eq section. The SA is really cool because its a SS preamp wit a tube in it is this correct? meaning it can do clean or warm right? ive heard people bash this pre saying it can get noisy and it has a hum because of the tube.

I currently own a ua la 610 which i am very happy with, but im selling it to help fund audio school expenses. which one would you pick to "down grade" too so to speak without feeling like you lost much quality?

PS......Do i need a compressor? like a rnc or a art pro vla? or is outboard compression not a necessity?

Back