Is buying an Apogee Trak 2 for its preamps for $700 worth it?

expatguy

Hello all,

I am looking to add a two-channel mic preamp to my collection of equipment. I happened across an Apogee Trak 2 (probably over ten years old) for about $700. I have seen nothing but glowing reports about its preamps and its A-D/D-A converters. At the same time, it's an old dog and times have moved on.

I'm looking for a preamp that is clean and has plenty of headroom. I have a fair number of old ribbon mics and I'd like to get a preamp that can push them hard enough to sound good.

Here are the preamps I already have.

RME Babyface (internal preamps)
Summit Audio 2BA-221 (great sounding pre, handles ribbons well, but only one channel)
FMR Audio RNP 8380
Aphex 207

And a few unused boxes:
M-Audio DMP-3
dbx 760X
Roland MMP-2

Will the Apogee Trak 2 give me something I can't already get with the equipment I have? Any opinions appreciated.

Can't speak for the Trak2, but back in the day, I had an Apogee MiniME USB. Sold it. Bad idea. Something magical about that thing... If they used similar preamps in the T2, it's probably a bargain.

Can't speak for the Trak2, but back in the day, I had an Apogee MiniME USB. Sold it. Bad idea. Something magical about that thing... If they used similar preamps in the T2, it's probably a bargain.

Thanks for the reply. I like your site and description of sevices, by the way. You may be hearing from me someday.

Back