building tube preamps

dragonworks

Banned
Does anyone know of a site that gives schematics for a quality tube preamp? Tube preamps are the most basic electronic circuits in the audio system and I wouldnt be adverse to tackling one if I could get my
hands on the plans. Ive fooled around and read electronic books for years but have not really built anything but I would like to have some tube preamps and I cant afford to buy them.

Hi

Try www.triodeel.com the ultimate reference in tube circuits.

However, building tube products can be quite expensive and demanding: it took me weeks to get all the bits together to make an Altec 436C compressor and something like $300 to do it (although a preamp might be cheaper). The most expensive parts seem to be the input and output transformers.

Good luck!

Thanx for the links. I will check them out. I
have access to lots of cheap parts including
tranformers. All the tube sockets and an old
sylvania tube reference book with socket diagrams with each tube accepted and books on power supplies etc. I also have the old
guitar amplifier repair book by Jack Darr if
anyone needs any info out of it i would be glad to oblige. Theres lots of old schematics
in it, no marshall, but fender, ampeg ,hiwatt? and lots of obscure ones, kay,
silvertone, etc.

Animaniac

I just checked out the site and you cant
build a preamp that cheap. Have you ever heard one of the mic preamps or read anything on them?

Animaniac

I am intersested. I expected a 12ax7 for
amplification and they have a tube i am unfamiliar with. I will have to look that up
in my book.

I need a headphone amp so I will give the Paia a chance. At 80 bucks for a 6 output what can I lose. I had the sampson 5 out put but thats going for around 129.00 and Im broke. Probably wont order it for a week or
so and will let anyone know how it turns out.
If the headphone amp works well and is easy to assemble etc. I will try another product.

If you make a good preamp will you make one for me too, ...please!!

There are a couple of samples in that site, dig it a bit you might find more than i did.

Good luck with your project

Back