Build it yourself tube preamp

tjohnston

Anyone know anything about these do it yourself tube preamp kits.. Some websites offer diy kits that can be built with a sodering iron and some patience. What is this? Can they be used for home recording or are they only for hi-fi stereo systems? Im always looking for a bargain or a way to beat the system. Mabey this would be a way to get amazing preamp for half the price. Any help would be greatly welcome.

You mean like the ones from PAIA? Those aren't really tube preamps, they're the "fake" tube preamps that actually do solid state amplification and use the tube for effect, like the ART Tube MP and many others. That's not to say that they're BAD or anything, it's just that you can buy a single channel of ART Tube MP for like $89.

Building an acutal tube mic preamp just in parts would probably be in the $300-400 per channel neighborhood (unmounted). Building a very cheap "fake" tube preamp would probably be in the $75-100 per channel (again without a box). If you're buying a premade circuit board via a kit those prices will be even higher.

You can't save yourself money via DIY in this case unless you already have a cheap or free source of parts (esp. transformers). You can simply buy new for less money and/or much less headache. Only DIY if you're really into it. You won't be able to resell it. You won't be able to exchange it if you don't like it. Etc.

The only DIY "electronics" project that I've found you can really save money on (aside from repairs) is building cables.

Slackmaster 2000

damn I guess that settles it. You know what.... screw tube gear and vintage and all that crap. I dont see why things have to cost so much. I think its just the hype and the fact that people will pay for it. I dont know mabey it just cost more to manufacture some things. But some things I think its just the hype that makes it cost a few hundred more. I would if I could though. Anyway thanks for the help.

It's not really hype. A single transformer alone can cost > $50 and you might have two per channel...and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Tube designs are more complex to manufacture and can require more QC. Really though they're not necessarily much more expensive than comparable solid state preamps...in fact tube preamps are not the norm, and it's not a tube that makes a preamp expensive. You can find very used neve and ati solid state preamp modules UNRACKED (e.g. no power supply, no nothing, just a circuit board) for $200-500 or more.

For a long time I thought just like you...that it was all name brand hype. But then I started looking at some schematics and pricing out components. I found that in order to build what would probably turn out to be a decent preamp would cost quite a bit of money...more money than a "decent" preamp could be bought for brand new (manufacturers get their parts in massive quantities, remember).

Yeah you might be able to make a copy of some $2000 preamp for half price, but you probably won't have built as good a preamp! Any audio circuit is more than just a collection of compatible components. If it were that simple, I would buy up as much behringer stock as I could!

It's more than math. Guys like rupert neve have designed preamps based on years and years of study....trial and error...listening and listening and listening. Your basic amplifier circuit can be found in any beginners electronics book....but if you think that's all that's to an expensive preamp, you're wrong!

And IMO there really is no "vintage" craze. It's simply a return to *quality* sound. 30-40 years ago if you went out to buy a guitar amp, chances are you would be looking at a decent piece of gear, regardless of your price range. Then along came some great leaps and bounds in electronic & manufacturing technology, and along with em came all these companies cashing in on it....your crates and your peaveys and the like.....with some bizzare consequences too. Prices of quality gear seemed to go up, perhaps to distinguish it from the cheap stuff, while prices on cheap crap continued to drop. Perhaps it was also to distinguish a "better" manufacturer's good gear from the cheap crap they too put out to compete with the peaveys and the crates. You see this phenomenon all over the place. Then the digital age came along and things got even more out of control.

What none of these new guitar players realized, myself included, is that while they could plop down $150 and bring home an actual working guitar amp - it sounded like shit!!! Did we know it sounded like shit? Nah, we're still trying to play "ode to joy". Then we get to a point where we realize, "hey, I don't sound as good as I think I'm playing"...but do we dump the cheap amp and buy something that we think sounds good? Nah, you start tossing all sorts of garbage boss effects in front of it because they're cheap. Why pay $800 for a new amp when I can get a "distorto screamer 8000" all-in-one digital programmable effects box for another $150?

Then one day you wake up and smell the coffee...and you're stuck with all this cheap garbage. When I say "you" in this case I really mean "me." Thus when I shop anymore I am indeed often looking for "vintage" gear deals, but simply because a "good" guitar sound really hasn't changed all that much, and I've got a better chance of finding a good deal on something that's 30 years old than something brand new.

In the meantime, here I am with my POD and my peavey amp and my garbage effects and my cheap mic preamps and my cheap microphones. Maybe next time I'll get it right :)

Anyways, it's really the cheap gear "craze" that has caused the complete misconception that ALL gear is cheap to make. It was and is the continuous onslaught of nearly-false advertising and bogus claims. How many times have you heard a salesman say that some cheap piece of gear sounds almost as good as some expensive piece of gear? Oh man. How many magazine ads have you seen to that effect? How many times have you heard people complaining about the "vintage" craze? How many of them were either broke and frustrated or salesmen?

This isn't all to say that there isn't a lot of overhyped gear out there. I'm just saying that if you bargain hunt and look for manufacturers who put out quality gear at reasonable prices, you probably won't be able to DIY for much cheaper. Only go the DIY route if you're really super interested in learning about the ins & outs of audio electronics.

Slackmaster 2000

Yeah, that's why I put "fake" in quotation marks and in my next breath said:

"That's not to say that they're BAD or anything, it's just that you can buy a single channel of ART Tube MP for like $89."

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:

...Did we know it sounded like shit? Nah, we're still trying to play "ode to joy".

Slackmaster 2000

Awhhh man!.....What a flashback....I think I spent about 10 minutes laughing at that one....it's funny cause it's TRUE! I can relate 'guitar-wise' to that whole thread....instead of crate or peavey (even back then in my teenage years, i had some primal, non-verbal subconcious aversion response to peavy guitar amps) my purchase was the "Valvestate" marshall.......they kind of remind me the the hybrid tube mic pre's so popular today......

T

DIY Tube Micpre

Hi Group,

We recently published the DIY-version of our G9 dual tube mic preamp:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gy_pd/g9/g9pd.htm

http://www.recording.org/users/kev/G9_tube_micpre.htm

This is a real-tube mic preamp in a conservative design, incorporating transformers in and out, split gain and level controls, phantom power, adjustable low-cut and phase reverse.

All based on components that are relatively easy to source, and not prohibitively expensive.

For input- and output transformers we use the highly underrated british "OEP" range - they're easy to get hold on thru' RS or Farnell, and they're not expensive at all. Around 15$/pcs.

All schematics, description, and PCB layouts are published. No strings attached. Free.

As for the "fake" tube preamps, I think that their sonic problems are not so much grounded in their incorporation of solid-state technology, as in the fact that solid-state technology gives you the option of getting in and out of the unit without using the relatively expensive transformers.

We've experimented with different transformerless real-tube designs, and we concluded that the "sound" we like so much in tube equipment is NOT from the tubes alone, but from the combination of tubes and transformers..

And this is why it simply cannot be manufactured cheaply..

Best regards,

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

Back