Budget Compressor

obviously you've never heard an elysia xpressor 500 then? it's better than any of my compressor plug-ins and I own some really great plug-ins, none of them come close.

Have you compared it to the Elysia compressor plugins (mpressor and alpha - is there such thing as an xpressor plugin?)?

Guys, this is in the forum section called the rack, The thread deals with hardware NOT plug ins.:rolleyes:

I'd love to compress my budget down to about 1 or 2 expenses. I can't decide between a Budget Compressor or an Expense Limiter. :eek:

I am looking for a budget compressor that I can experiment with and something that later on if I get something better made, it would be still useful on at least bass drum and snare drum. I was looking at the DBX 166 xl, ART SCL2 and the Alesis 3632.

Used Drawmer DL241.

Have you compared it to the Elysia compressor plugins (mpressor and alpha - is there such thing as an xpressor plugin?)?

yes I own the plug-ins as well, still prefer my xpressor over the elysia plug-ins for the smoothness, the alpha comp plug-in is a beast though, I use them both for different things.

This is a Really Nice Preamp :D
(Note: don't have any experience with preamp above)

I just ordered up an RNC to use with a Focusrite ISA, Summit Audio 2BA-221, or GAP Pre-73 mkii.

I haven't used the RNC but I've watched and read just about every review and demo there is on it, and I think they're a good match. I do have an RNP, and it has handy inserts on each channel, plenty of gain, clear signal, a nice soft ramp-up when you engage the phantom power, and you can put the RNP and RNC behind a cool face plate like this:

http://www.funklogic.com/frt-8373

It's a little dark to me, but still a good deal for two channels of solid state preamps for under $500.

Just picked up this bad boy

IMG_20150507_184614.jpg

I'm not recommending it but it does sound good on snare on a song I'm working on and it was cheaper than a lot of plugins

I was looking at DBX stuff like 166xs and 160a but there were a lot of mixed feelings about those and I have to buy from the internet so I'm not confident in buying those at the moment.

Yeah - I suppose I'm lucky it works at all and really lucky it works well.

I need to stop posting in this thread because I really don't have any helpful advice except not to get the 3630. I have a Symetrix 525 that was like $40 and sounds OK but it's old and brittle and the pots are breaking off the circuit board. If I were looking for a single budget general purpose compressor right now I would be strongly considering the FMR stuff.

I have an RNLA, (2) JoeMeek C2's and I'm about to take delivery of a JoeMeek MC2. If I buy another hardware stereo compressor, it would be the FMR RNC. I want one of those. But I like the opto JoeMeek sound better than the RNLA on most - not all my recordings. And nothing stops me from using both.

I can back up that the ART ProVLA 2 is nice on vocals and bass, but my unit is certainly VERY coloured, not just a bit.

I can back up that the ART ProVLA 2 is nice on vocals and bass, but my unit is certainly VERY coloured, not just a bit.

Funny, I don't find mine to be very colorful. Are you using the stock tubes? Mine is bone-stock. I usually shoot for about 8 dB of gain reduction, at relatively aggressive ratios (6:1, 8:1). It's actually pretty transparent for the amount of GR that I use it for.

I love it on those same sources: bass and vocal...I have one side of the unit dedicated to each! I tried it as a stereo compressor on the drum bus, but it was less impressive there. But what a great bang for the buck compressor, so glad I grabbed one. For $300 or less, I'd recommend one without hesitation.

Funny, I don't find mine to be very colorful. Are you using the stock tubes?

Yup, all stock. I've found it sucks a bit of top end energy out of things - in a quite desirable way on bass in particular. Could be down to the induvidual unit, still happy with it as a good buy though (for when I mix OTB, which is getting rarer these days).

The price makes it a steal.

Back