The Brick first sample (link working)

jeff0633

Hi guys. I finally just ordered some web space. Got tired of the free stuff and limits.

The Brick is incredible. I used to own the DMP3, and this thing is in a much higher league. Here is my first sample after owning it for a couple hours. I recorded my cheap acoustic through a Marshall 603s. I didi an acoustic panned to each side a little, and then picked up my harmonica on the spur of the moment and recorded it with my At3035. This went to the brick, and then out to a Zoom MRS-802 recorder. The reverb is the send/return effects on the Zoom. I used no insert effects. I kept it in Wav format, though I had to name it mp3 for the site to take it. There is a limit on this site, so I don't know how many of you will be able to get it. It is about ten megs because of being in Wav format. Let me know what you think

http://jeffstewart.maddsites.com/The Brick.wav

Sounds good to me, though honestly without a direct comparison to the same tracks through your DMP3, I can't tell the precise effect of the preamp.

But it gives me great encouragement: I too just got a Brick, and I'm gonna try to track something through it this weekend and see how I like it!

very pretty...do you think you could post a recording w/ your DMP3 just so we could compare? Also, you said you recorded w/ your 603s...the brick isn't a dual channel, right? Just doublechecking...

the brick is single channel.

he was referring to one marshall 603s (the "s" being part of the model name).

Hi. Don't have my DMP3 anymore. I sold it on ebay about a month ago. Yeah, I have two 603s, but I only used one. I am loving the Brick so far.

Jeff

artCROSS said:
very pretty...do you think you could post a recording w/ your DMP3 just so we could compare? Also, you said you recorded w/ your 603s...the brick isn't a dual channel, right? Just doublechecking...

Well Jeff,

Your post gave me G.A.S. I A/B'd it with some tracks of my D-35, through an SM81 into a DMP3, and YIKES! G.A.S. attack. The Brick. Sounding nice.

This should make you have even more gas.

Then you will really have gas. The guitar I used was a cheapo sma;; Ibanez with the piezo pup installed from the factory. This wasn't meant to sound good without being hooked up. Live, it sounds thin and terrible, but I miced it anyway. Also, after recording to the zoom in 16/44 uncompressed, I had to run it into the computer using the SB audigy inputs. The Zoom doesn't have digital outs, so that track has a shitty guitar sound, a shitty room, and has been run through shitty SB audigy converters as well as Zooms converteres. After all that poor chain, you would think that it would sound WAAAAAY WORSE than it does. That's all Brick, cause the chain was terrible, and that was the first think I did while toying with it. Imagine what a pro could do with it.

Jeff

omtayslick said:
Well Jeff,

Your post gave me G.A.S. I A/B'd it with some tracks of my D-35, through an SM81 into a DMP3, and YIKES! G.A.S. attack. The Brick. Sounding nice.

I would love to hear a vocal clip through it, if you wouldn't mind. I also have a 3035, so that chain would be a valid comparison I could relate to.

omtayslick said:
I would love to hear a vocal clip through it, if you wouldn't mind. I also have a 3035, so that chain would be a valid comparison I could relate to.

I did a comparison like this a while ago. A different room completely negates everything in the chain. If you record the same thing set up the same way with the same pre but just change rooms, you might as well be using a different pre with a different mic because there isn't any comparison that is legitiment when everything isn't exactly the same.

And by the way, the room in the clip isn't that shitty IMO...for home recording...

I think it's cool that people post samples and all.

But something like this, unfortunately, isn't very telling in the context. I mean, yea, it's an example of a brick. But it's also an example of one guy's room ... an example of one guy's microphone. It's also an example of one guy's converters, reverb, recording technique (and recording/mixing decisions), guitar, harmonica, and the list goes on.

No way that anyone can listen to that and say "yea, that's the brick." :D Listen to that brick go, man. Ooh, did you hear that brick?

Nice music, though.

True, I guess that would apply to all samples people post. They are fun to listen to though. I know one thing, I had the DMP3 going through the same chain for a while, and I can notice a huge change using the brick. The difference is NOT subtle. I did like the DMP3, but it is what you pay for it. The pres are actually not horrible, but that detail that I hear in the Brick is clearly better. Then again, two channels of the Brck would be almost 700 dollars. When i consider that the DMP3 cost 150 for two channels, it's a great deal. The pres in the DMP3 are worth 75 bucks each, no doubt. It just can't compare to a higher end pre. I am sure the Brick can't compare to a Manley either.

Jeff

chessrock said:
I think it's cool that people post samples and all.

But something like this, unfortunately, isn't very telling in the context. I mean, yea, it's an example of a brick. But it's also an example of one guy's room ... an example of one guy's microphone. It's also an example of one guy's converters, reverb, recording technique (and recording/mixing decisions), guitar, harmonica, and the list goes on.

No way that anyone can listen to that and say "yea, that's the brick." :D Listen to that brick go, man. Ooh, did you hear that brick?

Nice music, though.

It should give ya gas

It should give gas, cause I used to own a Peavey VMP2 a couple years ago, and this is just like having a single channel of that, in fact, I think it's better than I remember the Peavey being. If guitar Center has more of these around the country, you can walk out for $349. The more I look at this thing, it seems so cool looking too, it's like..like, like a BRICK!! I would definitely say that this pre is equal, and even a tad better than the Peavey that I owned.

Jeff

omtayslick said:
Different room, different converters, diffferent phase of the moon, etc. etc.

Don't care! It still gave me G.A.S.! :)

jeff0633 said:
It should give gas, cause I used to own a Peavey VMP2 a couple years ago, and this is just like having a single channel of that, in fact, I think it's better than I remember the Peavey being.

Now that would be an interesting comparison.

Back