Breakout Box question

not entirely sure how you are defining terms

If 'DAW' refers to software on general purpose computer then your BoB would be Analog to Digital convertor, a hardware device with two A/D's would support two discrete simultaneous tracks of audio, one with 8 would support 8

while break out boxes are common on current PCI A/D's and pretty much de riqeur on USB, Firewire A/D's there are still some PCI A/D's with fanout cable inputs

In any case number of discrete tracks is dependent on hardware constraints of which the actual attachment hardware, i.e. box or fan out, is certainly a usability issue but hardly the defining element

for example the 'console' has to have form of physical routing for direct output of individual channels. There are a number of relatively common approaches: 1. 'real' direct output sockets as part of each channel strip 2. direct outs routed to a single 25 pin 'D-sub' socket to which you attach a fan out cable (typically 8 lines) 3. insert points (on console) can be used (usually though I've seen boards where a non returned insert breaks signal to the mains) as the poor man's direct outs (attach 1/4" cable only in as far as first notch on the socket) 4. firewire enabled console will usually support at least 8 direct outs from individual channels 5. Consoles with ADAT support will support 8 direct outs (@ up to 24/48 usually half for 24/96) per Toslink

on the DAW end you have to have equivalent physical hardware connections, simplest is an audio card with 1/4" (or combo sockets) for each discrete channel of A/D though it is not uncommon for A/D cards to support some combination analog and/or digital input. for example: 2 XLR inputs with associated mic pre's, 6 1/4" inputs from 'console' analog direct outs, 8 channels via ADAT toslink, 2 channels via S/PDIF and as I said there might or might not be a breakout box anywhere in the mix

Back