binding posts?

solarchaos

I'm not real knowledgeable on the physical electronic aspects of many things but i can find my away around. Anyways i saw a great deal on this crown microtech 1200 power amp and i was thinking about getting it. The only problem is its outputs are binding posts. I've never seen these before and i have no idea what they connect to or how to connect something to them? How do u connect speakers to them? do u need speakers with speaker cable like for your stereo system or do u need like pa speakers with a special connector? very confused, someone please help

Bananas

I've got a Crown Power Base 3 amp and it has the same deals on it.You COULD loosen 'em and wind wire around the posts like you would with a receiver,but if you look close you'll see that the gold plated center is hollow,so that one could insert what is referred to in the vernacular as "banana plugs".Despite the quaint name,these plugs actually achieve a superior current transfer to the more common 1/4" "jacks".Be sure to insert the same color plug into the corresponding hole i.e. red to red,black to black.Cheers!

what kind of speakers are best to use? pa system speakers by a guitar company like fender or peavey or home audio speakers by someone like sony?

Binding posts have advantages. For example, if your speakers don't match your amp's impedance, you can connect them in parallel or series to increase or decrease the ohms.

Isaiah

Back