Beyer DT 770 HEADPHONES - best isolated Headphones ever?

earworm

Beyer dynamic has a new set of headphones out
(well, new to me)
the DT 770 M

they claim their HP's can attenuate 35 DBA out ambient noise...
thats more than the sennheiser hd280,
more than the extreme isolation headphones,
i wonder how true this is...i'm real curious about them,
would love to give them a test,,,,,,did anyone touch these things yet?

i'm not after flat reference headphones since i don't wanna monitor with them, but i want something that Isolates ALOT for when i'm playing drums and stuff....

Type : Circum-aural, close-back
Frequency Range : 5Hz to 35kHz
Impedance : 80 ohms
Sensitivity(0 VU) : 96dB/mW
Maximum Input Power : 100 mW
ambient noise attenuation: 35dba

------------------------------------------------------
sennheiser HD280 specs:

Type: Circumaural, closed-back
Frequency Range: 8Hz to 25kHz
Impedance: 64 ohms
Sensitivity: 113dB/mW
Maximum Input Power: 500 mW
ambient noise attenuation: 32 dba

question about these specs: seems like the sennheiser can handle louder signals without distorting, no? its got a higher sensitivity, this means you can simply turn up the volume more?
or what does the sensitivity mean?

and what can the little difference in Impedance mean?
64 ohm compared to 80 ohm ..... now,,,whats the difference ??

thaaanx

Last edited:
How 'bout these...?

http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm

'...between 45 and 55 DB of attenuation...'

I got a pair for mic placement...didn't really like the sound, but then again I never liked those Sony drivers anyway. Ended up selling them to our drummer after weeks of him begging me to...wish I didn't now.

Actually I never found them that bad...I have a pretty thick skull though...

In fairness, I never had to wear them for more then 3/4 hour at the most. I just used them for mic positioning. Will ask aforementioned drummer. Although he has an even thicker skull...

real curious, gonna do some investigation about even MORE attenuating Hp's ... i wonder how far they go !!

and well.... just an additional question,

is it true that you can consider the Sennheiser HD600 with those special cables as one of the best HP's for accurate monitoring?
sure, they won't beat great studio monitors,
but for HP's.... seems like they are THE shit if you want a flat and REAL sound .... or is this more like Bulls hit ? :o

earworm said:
real curious, gonna do some investigation about even MORE attenuating Hp's ... i wonder how far they go !!

and well.... just an additional question,

is it true that you can consider the Sennheiser HD600 with those special cables as one of the best HP's for accurate monitoring?
sure, they won't beat great studio monitors,
but for HP's.... seems like they are THE shit if you want a flat and REAL sound .... or is this more like Bulls hit ? :o

The remote audio cans are the best as far as attenuation goes to my knowledge, and I have looked around alot.

The HD600's are lovely..., a dj friend of mine borrowed them to me for a week when he went on holidays, and I rediscovered some favourite albums in a big way. Very impressive, and comfy too.

Higher sensitivity means that you can drive the phones with less power...
or that they breakdown on very emotional material...

and the higher the impedance, the better the HP's can 'play back' flat reference music? ...the better it can handle all frequency ranges? ...am i right here?

earworm said:
and the higher the impedance, the better the HP's can 'play back' flat reference music? ...the better it can handle all frequency ranges? ...am i right here?

No..the two are almost entirely unrelated. (To my understanding anyway, perhaps I'm wrong)

2 important aspects left out is ear fatigue and comfort. I have not had the chance to check out the DT770's( and I most def'ly will), but I've been a long-time user of AKG 240's for thier comfort,perf and price range. Sony's MDR's are also an excellent choice with great freq'y translations.

BTW, what's the street price on the Beyer's?

comfort and ear fatigue are important, but i got nice headphones for long use.... i'm just looking for an Isolated Mthrfckr that i'll use for short periods

the street price for the Beyer 770 is around $200,
in belgium its still alot more expensive...

quote: ""No..the two are almost entirely unrelated. (To my understanding anyway, perhaps I'm wrong)""

excuse me? i'm not following here, what do you mean?

I've tried the DT770's. Personally, I don't like the way they sound, and I find them uncomfortable as hell. The attenuation is just fine, but that won't sell them to me. I have to wear headphones for hours at a time, and it won't be those.- I'll keep my HD280's, thank you.- Richie

Richard Monroe said:
I've tried the DT770's. Personally, I don't like the way they sound, and I find them uncomfortable as hell. The attenuation is just fine, but that won't sell them to me. I have to wear headphones for hours at a time, and it won't be those.- I'll keep my HD280's, thank you.- Richie

Hey Richie, the reason why they're uncomfortable to you is due to that big-@ss head you got on your shoulders! :p

Just joshin' ya good buddy! :D

(Your butt better be @ JAMFEST 5 next year as well as displayin' that deep talent you possess!! :cool: ;) )

yeah,280's are great, can't even hear myself fart when i'm wearing them,
but i wanna fart even louder...know what i'm saying.. :D

I have a pair of Beyer DT 770/80 I got at Guitar Center for $199. I use these in my amatuer mixing/mastering studio but haven't used them in a recording situation so I don't know about the isolation part in that scenerio.

The DT 770's are my top shelf headphones I use for any detail work, next is my Senn HD600, next (usually never) are my Sony MDR-7509.

The DT770s are relatively comfortable and I can spend a few hours in them (at reasonable levels of course) - the closed cup is such that the speaker elment is a nice distance away from my ear unlike the 7509 that sits almost on top of my ear which is too close. I can hear bass and high-mid detail in these which I like - those ranges are a little hyped I think so to my advantage when I want to examine those areas in detail in phones. My wife has her own set and likes the fit as well as the bass hype when she uses them for vocal monitoring while recording.

Of course the Senn 600s are comfortable, and sound very good - I haven't gotten the hang of hearing details in these since everything sounds pretty damn good - even stuff that shouldn't. These are open cup earphones which are very comfortable but not isolating.

I might try a set of Senn 280's sometime - I'm very curious about these and there seems to be a buzz about them in many forums.

Back