Best Reverb for the money?

dmc777

What's guys I haven't been on this board for a while and I'm sure things have changed. I currently have Waves Renassiance Reverb and Trueverb but and tired of that metallic plugin sound. What seems to be the best bang for buck reverb these days. Seems like last time I was looking it was a Lexicon PCM91 or something? Anyways...I'm looking to spend around 200 bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Certainly there's a good reverb better than these plugs for that price. Thanks Guys.

I'm no guru, but been in around audio for more than 10 yrs now and I hate to say it, aside from spending huge bucks. I really like the alesis reverbs.

the digitechs always sounded thin and unmusical.

I'm sure lexicons and tc electronics will probably be better but now your talking 1k and above price range.

why do you feel you will find a better reverb than a Waves Renassiance Reverb for 200 dollars? all reverb minus analog reverbs are dsp processing. Who has more dsp processing power then a computer? you'd rather pay for an on board dsp processor then a plugin and add extra D/A and A/D conversion?

good luck with that

I have no recomendations for a outboard reverb at a 200 price point thats better then waves plug ins

I have tc electronics reverbs and lexicon reverbs and still prefer plug ins espically ones that can do impulses of acoustic spaces

also show me a dedicated reverb box that just does reverb for say upto 500 bucks they are all multi effects using presets you proably never will use and have very little editing ability to the actual reverb controls just my 2 cents heres one for 300. I only like it cause it has digital ins and outs so no noise isues from bad analog output stages it might be better then waves but i have my doubts

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...-Reverb-Effects-Processor-with-USB?sku=180073

i found one in your price point and if you don't snag this youd be kicking yourself under 200 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-REV-7-RE...ryZ23790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
I'd tend to side with Doulos on longer reverb sounds...the less expensive hardware reverbs don't sound as good as the plugins at the same price range. Where I'll differ a bit is on short reverbs and delays; I have a couple of Yamaha Rev5's and a SPX90 and I think they absolutely kill any plugin I have (UAD reverbs and the voxengo convolution reverb) on the short room sounds.

Frank

The cheapest outboard verb that can beat most plugs is the Rumour, but I'd still opt for plugs at that pricepoint, just due to the flexibility of a plug - and this is coming from a guy that uses outboard verbs 98% of the time........

why do you feel you will find a better reverb than a Waves Renassiance Reverb for 200 dollars? all reverb minus analog reverbs are dsp processing. Who has more dsp processing power then a computer? you'd rather pay for an on board dsp processor then a plugin and add extra D/A and A/D conversion?

good luck with that

I have no recomendations for a outboard reverb at a 200 price point thats better then waves plug ins

I have tc electronics reverbs and lexicon reverbs and still prefer plug ins espically ones that can do impulses of acoustic spaces

also show me a dedicated reverb box that just does reverb for say upto 500 bucks they are all multi effects using presets you proably never will use and have very little editing ability to the actual reverb controls just my 2 cents heres one for 300. I only like it cause it has digital ins and outs so no noise isues from bad analog output stages it might be better then waves but i have my doubts

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...-Reverb-Effects-Processor-with-USB?sku=180073

i found one in your price point and if you don't snag this youd be kicking yourself under 200 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-REV-7-RE...ryZ23790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually, considering the fact that these are usually going for much less than that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-REV-7-Re...oryZ3278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

he'd be kicking himself if he did buy the one you showed him. :)

Eventide H3000

I have a old eventide h3000 I use it mainly for reverb and nothing comes close to this thing.That's why just about every studio has one:)

I expect the usual crap from this, but imho the best cheap reverb ever made was the behringer rev-2496.

it's discontinued because (based entirely on rumor here but likely true knowing behringer's rep) some of the circuit and algorithms were stolen from a major competitor who eventually reverse engineered the behringer and found out about this illegal activity, sued them and had their product removed from the market.

but if you can find one cheap - amazing units. long reverbs are AMAZING from this unit, as good as you can get for less than $1000. shorts are very good too, plates aren't quite 100% authentic but really really good. I have one, I love it. in my cheap home studio it's how I do things and it's as good as anything I use that costs much more. UI isn't as good though, but whatever.

should be like $200 or so used.

cheers

Best FOR THE MONEY?

Peavey Addverb. Original, not Addverb II (which is good, too, but FOR THE MONEY, you can grab Addverbs for as little as $25. Good, cheap and easy to use.

I absolutely love my TC Electronic M-One XL. it might be more than you want to spend though, I don't know what they would run on ebay.....

I have one of those heading my way that I just scored for $200, so if you hunt, they can be found. I found Craigslist seems to run a little cheaper, where I scored mine.

Another gem is the much harder to find Sony R-7. I think I paid about $200 for mine but I had to hunt for quite a while to get one. Smokin' verb box.

Kurzweil Rumour. Although a bit out of the desired price range, the cost of used ones has appeared to come down - now @$350 or so. I've even seen them for $300. Great verb box.

Demeter RV1 spring reverb rack unit.

i know its not as flexible as a digital unit but it sounds awesome. the last amy winehouse's rehab album used a lot of spring reverb.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/demeterrrv1.asp

man, I HATE spring reverb for anything other than a very subtle guitar amp tone change.

spring reverbs were a terrible compromise that came about because people wanted reverb (the sound of a room's fading your tone away after the source sound ended) in a recording studio. they were a very goofy idea that has managed to become a popular item for guitarists since they have an odd and unique tone all their own. rather like guitar amps that are part of your instrument's tone and playability, so are reverb tanks (another name for spring reverbs). but for a recording situation on vocals etc... ewe yucky don't even let me see one of those things.

Thank God we don't have to deal with garbage like spring reverbs any more when trying to make smooth vocal and instrumental mixes. Back in the day they were a necessary evil.

and winehouse's vocals would sound amazing through anything, but don't forget: (a) she's 100% totally retro and it fits in that rare case to use springs, and (b) they used a LOT of other processors on her last album as well, you're hearing the typical amazing production that goes into successful artist's albums. There are likely dozens of different devices all working together. you're hearing maybe a bit of spring reverb. but if it was the only verb used for everything and the record was tracked dry, then you'd be hearing "boing!" all over the place LoL :-)

ok, I'm done being cranky now :-)

all of the above is just IMHO by the way

cheers,
Don

rumors and those tc units are terrific too. by the way, the berry unit I mentioned ripped off the rumor, so if you can score a rumor might as well go for the real thing :-). better build quality etc.

the berry is cheaper though although hard to find now.

The cheapest outboard verb that can beat most plugs is the Rumour, but I'd still opt for plugs at that pricepoint, just due to the flexibility of a plug - and this is coming from a guy that uses outboard verbs 98% of the time........

I have to agree with you on this. Although, a plug-in that uses IR libraries (especially good ones) are hard to beat and offer (IMO) the biggest bang for the buck.

Check out IRs here:
http://noisevault.com/nv/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29

I expect the usual crap from this, but imho the best cheap reverb ever made was the behringer rev-2496.

it's discontinued because (based entirely on rumor here but likely true knowing behringer's rep) some of the circuit and algorithms were stolen from a major competitor who eventually reverse engineered the behringer and found out about this illegal activity, sued them and had their product removed from the market.

but if you can find one cheap - amazing units. long reverbs are AMAZING from this unit, as good as you can get for less than $1000. shorts are very good too, plates aren't quite 100% authentic but really really good. I have one, I love it. in my cheap home studio it's how I do things and it's as good as anything I use that costs much more. UI isn't as good though, but whatever.

should be like $200 or so used.

cheers

Absolutely! The V-Verb is BY FAR the best cheap reverb unit ever made, bar none. None of the "brand" name low end models compare. It compares to my Sony V77 in quality verbs. Though I do prefer my V77 most often, it's a VERY close call. Never mind $200, forget that. Some places still have them in stock and you can find them for $99 bucks NEW! Musicians Friend probably still has some and they will price match. I bought one on Craigs list for $50.00, one on ebay for $60.00. There's a new one on ebay right now for $135.00. There is NOTHING on the market, nor has there ever been in this price range that comes remotely close.

Back