Best Reverb for the money?

+1 on the Kurzweil Rumour. Pretty cool little box. Found one new on ebay for $350. It beats ITB verbs for me. Never used any of those other hardware boxes.

I expect the usual crap from this, but imho the best cheap reverb ever made was the behringer rev-2496.

it's discontinued because (based entirely on rumor here but likely true knowing behringer's rep) some of the circuit and algorithms were stolen from a major competitor who eventually reverse engineered the behringer and found out about this illegal activity, sued them and had their product removed from the market.

but if you can find one cheap - amazing units. long reverbs are AMAZING from this unit, as good as you can get for less than $1000. shorts are very good too, plates aren't quite 100% authentic but really really good. I have one, I love it. in my cheap home studio it's how I do things and it's as good as anything I use that costs much more. UI isn't as good though, but whatever.

should be like $200 or so used.

cheers
^Just bought one of these at guitar center for only $79^
Heck, at that price (and because it's Behringer) I bought the 3 year warranty for another $18. Total comes in for $100. Once it gets here, I'll return with some thoughts on the unit (provided it turns on).

GZ

The TC XL-one has the nicest tails of most of the units at that price. Also very unobtrusive. If its the 'Lexicon' sound you want then these arent the ticket.

For really stinkin cheap....and I'm not kidding....Alesis Pico-Verb. Not all that common but when you hear it next to most of the other Alesis stuff you wonder if its possibly the same manufacturer.

^Just bought one of these at guitar center for only $79^Heck, at that price (and because it's Behringer) I bought the 3 year warranty for another $18. Total comes in for $100. Once it gets here, I'll return with some thoughts on the unit (provided it turns on).GZ
Damn... why did I do that, I feel dirty, I'll have to shower for a week... can anyone recommend a third party vender that makes custom face plates... shoot... I guess I can hide it under my beastiality magazines so no one loses respect for me..

Damn... why did I do that, I feel dirty, I'll have to shower for a week... can anyone recommend a third party vender that makes custom face plates... shoot... I guess I can hide it under my beastiality magazines so no one loses respect for me..
please pass the soap!

*Whew*...that was funny.

Frank

Someone is going to string me up for letting the cat out of the bag.

*** Ibanez SDR-1000 ***

^Just bought one of these at guitar center for only $79^
Heck, at that price (and because it's Behringer) I bought the 3 year warranty for another $18. Total comes in for $100. Once it gets here, I'll return with some thoughts on the unit (provided it turns on).

GZ

Musician's Friend (GC) has them on Clearance for that price now.
Get them while they are HOT!

Musician's Friend (GC) has them on Clearance for that price now.
Get them while they are HOT!

I just got my 2496 yesterday, and I have to say...wow. After some initial wonkyness on startup, it settled down and I got a chance to test it. The long reverbs are just amazing. Smooth, rich and well-detailed. I'm absolutely amazed. I typically HATE Behringer gear, but this thing *easily* sounds as good as reverbs that cost 10 times as much or more.

I'm in shock. :eek:

Frank

That's quite an endorsement. Can you compare it directly to a Rumor or higher end TC unit? I'd be curious as to your thoughts on that. How are the room verbs?

I just got my 2496 yesterday, and I have to say...wow. After some initial wonkyness on startup, it settled down and I got a chance to test it. The long reverbs are just amazing. Smooth, rich and well-detailed. I'm absolutely amazed. I typically HATE Behringer gear, but this thing *easily* sounds as good as reverbs that cost 10 times as much or more.

I'm in shock. :eek:

Frank

I agree about it being "Smooth, rich and well-detailed".

My initial search was for a plate that I could use for vocals so that I could free up my PCM-81 for other duties when needed, so I focused mainly with the plates. The V-Verb's "Studio Plate" in Combi mode was what I was looking for and more. The Vocal Plate I use in the Lexi is quite transparent, but the V-Verb has the same definition, but just a bit more rich sounding; a bit more lush, but without loosing the detail.

Although I am picky about my reverbs, I am by no any means eccentric. That being said, I like this unit as much as I do my PCM-81 and Ensoniq DP Pro. I think the V-Verb Pro blows anything that that I have tried in that price range over the years (I have never tried the Rumor.) I did thumb through some of the other single FX presets and they have a nice assortment of very usable presets.

The other GREAT selling point for me on this unit over any I have ever seen the "low-end" verbs is the AES/EBU digital connection. If they would have kept this option in their new FX units, I might have considered trying one of them too.

For the money, this unit is a true "NO BRAINER". :)

That's quite an endorsement. Can you compare it directly to a Rumor or higher end TC unit? I'd be curious as to your thoughts on that. How are the room verbs?

Yeah...like Fishmed says above, this thing is astounding for the price. I do in fact have a Kurzweil Rumour racked right below the 2496. From just a few hours of testing I'd say they're comparable in most respects, but that the 2496 beats the Rumour pretty handily on the long 'verbs. I mean, seriously...the down side to cheap reverb units has *always* been the big room sounds. They're typically grainy and irritating. The 2496 is as smooth as it could be. Adjusting the pre-delay time does just what it should...makes the source pop and gives the tail some definition. I found it very easy to find a dozen different settings that would have worked perfectly in this mix. Too bad I finished it before I got the 2496..

Frank

My sat on the front porch, in the original box. BEHRINGER printed boldly across the white box... MF didn't even have the decency to plain brown rap it... I haven't left the house since... how can I ever face my neighbors again.

I think I'll do this in stages... it's now behind the couch in the living room

My sat on the front porch, in the original box. BEHRINGER printed boldly across the white box... MF didn't even have the decency to plain brown rap it... I haven't left the house since... how can I ever face my neighbors again.

Tip: Buy a second item that forces them to use another box for both products.

Sweet. It'll be racked and in use by Fall, 2010.

Frank

Back