Best rack for price

bassmasta392

I'm new to this whole recording thing.. but i'm looking to get a rack to record my band (4 people). Wanna spend 500 or less. I have fruity loops xxl, however I heard pro tools is the way to go and i'm probably going to buy that. I've been recomended to get the digidesign 002 rack, but i dont know how good that is compared to other ones. I need something with 0 lag that gets the job done. thanks

I'm new to this whole recording thing.. but i'm looking to get a rack to record my band (4 people). Wanna spend 500 or less. I have fruity loops xxl, however I heard pro tools is the way to go and i'm probably going to buy that. I've been recomended to get the digidesign 002 rack, but i dont know how good that is compared to other ones. I need something with 0 lag that gets the job done. thanks

grab a rack digi 003, if that's wya out of your limits then grab a used digi 002.

what makes the 002 better than other racks?

It depends on your preference, but The use of Pro Tools may be your particular reaosn, however a lot of people like their pre's. I have used the consols and have made many great recordings in the past.

I personally am not a fan of Pro Tools however just because I don't think it is veyr user friendly. I own an alesis multimix 16 usb 2.0 now and love it. It's 700 new [i think] and has some awesome power to it for the price. If your looking for a budget rack mixer, look at the firepod as well. I've used it and it's surprisingly well.

+1 for the Firepod. I have one and you can find em for $300 used, with 8 preamps, thats unheard of for the price. And the pres aren't bad at all. It works with all DAW's except protools like you will find with almost every interface except for the digi stuff.

I would choose

Tascam US2000 USB 2.0 Audio Interface

It will provide you with 8 mic inputs, 6 line inputs and 2 instrument inputs. 16 in total so it is quite enough to record a band with live drummer even. 24bit/96kHz samplind is kind of standard. Robust design. Steinberg Cubase software for recording bundeled, a powerful one. I'm actually saving up now to get this one. 500$ bargain price!

I would choose

Tascam US2000 USB 2.0 Audio Interface

It will provide you with 8 mic inputs, 6 line inputs and 2 instrument inputs. 16 in total so it is quite enough to record a band with live drummer even. 24bit/96kHz samplind is kind of standard. Robust design. Steinberg Cubase software for recording bundeled, a powerful one. I'm actually saving up now to get this one. 500$ bargain price!

hmm as big of a fan as I am of Tascam 4 outputs seems pretty weak on a 16 in card, but that's just me:)

hmm as big of a fan as I am of Tascam 4 outputs seems pretty weak on a 16 in card, but that's just me:)
I just looked at the link, because it seemed a bit unusual... I think they're trying to describe 16 inputs to Cubase, with 4 returns, via usb... but the verbiage is very confusing... Ah heck, hold on a minute...

... the Tascam site is equally vague. But that's my read on it... claim to be able to record 16 track at once... can't do that with 4 usb outputs

I just looked at the link, because it seemed a bit unusual... I think they're trying to describe 16 inputs to Cubase, with 4 returns, via usb... but the verbiage is very confusing... Ah heck, hold on a minute...

... the Tascam site is equally vague. But that's my read on it... claim to be able to record 16 track at once... can't do that with 4 usb outputs

Yeah i spent a while looking at the links, it's all pretty vague and confusing:) but now that I'm looking again the specs page manages to list the outputs in an understandable way, you get:

2, spdif
1, 1/4" stereo headphone jack
1, 1/4" stereo monitor jack

Which is what I don't personally like about this device, unless you plan to go all software with your effects and mixing you have virtually no options for using any outboard gear.

Sure having 16 inputs, 8 with pre-amps is GREAT... it really is. It just seems like if you ever want to do ANY outboard processing, at the very minimum you would have to have a digital converter, or rig something out of either the headphone or the monitor. And that leaves you able to simultaneously process only six outputs out of the box... at best, and all but two of them under severely less than optimal circumstances.

I don't know maybe it's just me but I feel like if I was starting out I would outgrow that card rather quickly, I wouldn't want something that forces me to rule out actual hardware equipment.

Yeah i spent a while looking at the links, it's all pretty vague and confusing:) but now that I'm looking again the specs page manages to list the outputs in an understandable way, you get:

2, spdif
1, 1/4" stereo headphone jack
1, 1/4" stereo monitor jack

Which is what I don't personally like about this device, unless you plan to go all software with your effects and mixing you have virtually no options for using any outboard gear.

Sure having 16 inputs, 8 with pre-amps is GREAT... it really is. It just seems like if you ever want to do ANY outboard processing, at the very minimum you would have to have a digital converter, or rig something out of either the headphone or the monitor. And that leaves you able to simultaneously process only six outputs out of the box... at best, and all but two of them under severely less than optimal circumstances.

I don't know maybe it's just me but I feel like if I was starting out I would outgrow that card rather quickly, I wouldn't want something that forces me to rule out actual hardware equipment.
I believe I saw two inserts on the back... and 4 line outs; this should handle all the outboard most would require on the way in.

I'm not advocating for it, I've never heard it, and have never been impressed with Tascam pres, or really disappointed for that matter, just describing the I/O as I understand it from the available documentation.

I believe I saw two inserts on the back... and 4 line outs; this should handle all the outboard most would require on the way in.

I'm not advocating for it, I've never heard it, and have never been impressed with Tascam pres, or really disappointed for that matter, just describing the I/O as I understand it from the available documentation.

Ah I see that now... boy the way the descriptions and specs are written and listed are is pretty poor, your totally right. Seems like it's actually a pretty cool card.

The way the specs were written it seemed like there were no outboard capabilities... but yeah 4 outs 2 inserts a main and a headphone out would definitely do the trick and give most some time to grow.

Hope I didn't throw anyone off here

I don't have any feelings on the card one way or another.. just the way I read it seemed kind of weak to have only 4 total outputs, and then from there was enjoying the discussion.

Back