Best preamp for vocals

Fyre said:
None.... a few thousand dollar pre-amp and a $130 mic will still sound like $130
Geez, that wasn't the question. Next you're goiung to say that it's the performance, not the gear... :rolleyes:

I heard 3 of the 4. I agree with some of the above, the Avalon 737 doesn't belong in this list on the basis of the pre alone. The manley is NOT the SLAM by the way, I've heard the VoxBox in action and it rocks.

For me, it would be between the Manley and the Neve. I haven't heard them enough to make a choice, though, just enough to be impressed.

:( I would take any of them because I have never tried any of them. They're all good when you have had nothing that good to play with. :D

fraserhutch said:
Geez, that wasn't the question. Next you're goiung to say that it's the performance, not the gear... :rolleyes:

I heard 3 of the 4. I agree with some of the above, the Avalon 737 doesn't belong in this list on the basis of the pre alone. The manley is NOT the SLAM by the way, I've heard the VoxBox in action and it rocks.

For me, it would be between the Manley and the Neve. I haven't heard them enough to make a choice, though, just enough to be impressed.

haha but it IS all about the performance - who cares if all you've captured is the ranges between 200-300 Hz and 16kHz and up?... and that the mic was pointed in the wrong direction to begin with :)

I'm beginning to get the feeling that nobody's used the Massenberg (GML 2020) If you haven't heard it track one down and check it out. :D

Also, a mics tone/characteristics are going to be stronger on a good pre. The mic matters, but good pre/channel strip will make your stuff sound better, if you have good technique.

cusebassman said:
haha but it IS all about the performance - who cares if all you've captured is the ranges between 200-300 Hz and 16kHz and up?... and that the mic was pointed in the wrong direction to begin with :)
Thank you Captain Obvious :)

This has nothing to do with the question about pres...... EVERYONE HERE IS AWARE THAT THE PERFORMANCE IS PARAMOUNT.

The guy asked which pre you would take.

:rolleyes:

I haven't heard it. You likey?

Blue Groove said:
I'm beginning to get the feeling that nobody's used the Massenberg (GML 2020) If you haven't heard it track one down and check it out. :D

Also, a mics tone/characteristics are going to be stronger on a good pre. The mic matters, but good pre/channel strip will make your stuff sound better, if you have good technique.

Back