Best Preamp under $200

Oldie

I need another preamp for my VS studio. With 2 kids in college I've got to keep cost down so..... What's the best preamp I can get under $200? What about DBX 286? Is the Behringer stuff any good? Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Two cents

Behringer preamps are sometimes relatively OK, and sometimes really, really crappy. OTOH, you can get as may as four of them for $100 with a mixer attached. :)

The ART tewb stuff is a step up in some ways from Behringer, and make pretty decent bass DIs, but some people really dislike their sound. I dig mine, but mind you I'm an inexperienced amateur. :cool:

People seem to like the M-Audio stuff, and some have been raving about the Studio Projects preamp (the VTB somethingorother). If I had $200 to blow on a preamp, sound-unheard, I'd get the VTB.

Depending on what you need, that SP VTB1, is the best clean/tube pre for the money but it is only 1 channel.

If you want the 4 channels of preamp, 2 audiobuddys will work, or a mixer.

1 channel pre get the VTB 1
2 channel pre that can also be used as a DI get the M Audio DMP3
I have the DMP 3 and I've plugged mic's, Bass, Acoustic w/ a pick-up, and keyboards into it with good results.
Both units are just under $200

I'vd gotten some pretty good, clean guitar, keyboard and bass sound from a Presonus Blue Tube. $150.00. It's a fairly quiet box. A little too dark for my taste when used as a vocal mic preamp but in some instances that may be a good thing. Not bad for a cheap, two channel amp. Looks lovely next to Blue Max too.

There are a number of listening tests comparing these things posted both on this forum and elsewhere (check out Dot's Listening Sessions website). So, look around and you can probably find samples to hear for yourself. To my ears, the VTB-1 has ranked dead last in every comparison I've heard it in. It's not a useable sound to me. It's very small and veiled sounding. To my ears, it's cloudy and can't reproduce low end. The Tube blend just makes it sound like there's something wrong with it. Don't buy into the hype. I'm convinced that the only reason anyone buys or recommends the VTB-1 is that Alan posts here (and everywhere else) and a lot of people feel he's a good guy. For a cheap pre, the DMP3 sounds much more promising, and it's 2 channels.

I think you have a bad one, send it back alan will take care of you you can depend on that.

The VTB1 is the best pre for under 200 period, even hearvy gerst said it. I have had even better results changing the tube to a mullard 12ax7, you should try that, telefunken is good too.

jslator, I think you're one of the sharpest guys posting on the audio forums,
however, in this instance I must respectfully disagree with you.
I compared recently (again), the VTB-1 with the;
1) Presonus MP20
2) M-Audio DMP3
3) Aphex 207 (somewhat improved from the 107 I previously owned)

And it still came out on top for my vocals.
Keep in mind that I record my "practice" vocals 3X or more per week so
there's been a certain amount of mileage done getting familiar with the
VTB-1. And I record a dozen or more singers twice a month at my
acapella chapter so I'm keenly sensitive to vocal tone quality.
The top quartet group went to a "professional" recording studio to do
their demo and were unable to match the sound quality of what I
recorded for them in their "scratch" sessions so proper microphone
placement can also be a factor as you know.

Harvey's review, and Brian Lucey's in Tape Op were pretty much along the
lines of my experience. Dan Richards (Dot), was also interesting, however,
I never have used an Amek console or the HHB Radius model he referenced.

Chris

preamp wars

After some back to back time with mindprint, the VTB1, soundcraft M-series, ART and the RNP, I can safely say that mindprint pres handily beat em all except the RNP. The RNP is dif, not necessarily *better*. A bit thicker and tighter on bottom and in the low mids and more linear in the upper mids and top. Mindprint is better on vox. RNP is better on instruments.
The VTB1 is ok. Thinner than mindprint and thinner than the RNP. Also not as detailed as either. Especially on bottom. Given whats available for $200 I wouldnt spend much time with the VTB1. I dont know why the DIport is not carried anywhere in the US. Probably bec its too good of a deal. That unit should be your de facto choice at $200 (its also a great converter). The other $200 pres shouldve disappeared from this board as contenders long ago.

Is the RNP class A? I don't think it is because its specs on the FMR site say nothing about it. If somone knows let me know.

As far as I can tell there are only 2-3 class A preamps in the $600-$700 range. The En-voice mindprint and the Voicemaster Pro. If anyone can think of another let me know.

Last edited:
Mine is better than it was, because the tube sound is warmer and less noisy. I have modded mine and Im running it through an old dbx 163a, and a 263a de-esser. and a mullard tube. It is different and fatter.

Re: preamp wars

JuSumPilgrim said:
I dont know why the DIport is not carried anywhere in the US. Probably bec its too good of a deal. That unit should be your de facto choice at $200 (its also a great converter). The other $200 pres shouldve disappeared from this board as contenders long ago.

Agreed.

I'm not thrilled with how it sounds with dynamic mics (shure sm57, etc.), and I would definitely pad the mic before using it on a very loud source, but in most situations . . . when not driven hard, and when using a decent condenser mic, there is nothing that touches it for the money. Very clear and detailed.

The VTB-1 is still the best single-channel pre available for under $200. In my review I said it blew away a Radius 40 - which is a $600 channel strip I have recommended for several years. I don't anymore. The Radius 40 won over the En Voice.

So, even if the En Voice has been reduced to the $200 range, it's still not better than a VTB-1.

BTW, the new TL Audio 5051 Ivory 2 [ new version of Radius 40 ] and the M-Audio Tampa are the new darlings of the $600 range channel strips, and are much improved over what used to occupy that price point.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Back