Best Mixer for me (plus other outboard stuff)

joms

I will be using this for our home karaoke sessions. Right now I have the Allen & Heath - Zed10fx mixer and I've been reading about compressors and a lot swear that they would increase my overall sound quality. However, the zed-10fx doesn't have an insert so I am now looking for a replacement. (small format mixers only with max width at 16" and depth at also 16")

So my questions are:

1) Which mixer should I get to replace the Zed-10fx. I am looking at the Soundcraft EFx8 or MFXi8. I believe they both have "insert" so I can use an outboard compressor. I tried looking at the zed12fx but they are just way too big. At most, I can only accommodate the MFXi8. Any other small format mixers to consider? (budget around $600)

2) Are outboard Effects much better than those found in mixers like the EFx8/MFXi8? (they have lexicon effects). Will I get much better sound quality if I buy a Lexicon MX400/MPX500 or TC-helicon? (Note: I am not really a sound engineer so the simpler the better. I just want Quality and not too many adjustments since I don't know how to adjust anyway.)

3) What outboard compressor should I get? What is the difference if I put the compressor a) between the mic and mixer b) in the mixer insert c) between the mixer and amplifier? (budget around $350)

4) I also need a good quality Feedback Suppressor. What are the best choices our there for around $350?

5) Can I hookup all these 3x outboard items if I get the MFXi8? 1) Compressor 2) Feedback Suppressor 3) Effects? How do I hook this up? If this can't be done then my priority is Compressor then Feedback suppressor then last is the effects (Since the mixer already has an effects in it).

Thanks

*added: pic of our small living room that houses our karaoke sessions

karaoke1.JPG

karaoke2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. If it was only me, I don't think I'd need feedback suppression. However, during party time, my guests (whom some are drunk) goes around the room and sometimes goes near the speakers. I've mentioned several times to stay out of the speaker area but you know how things go when people get drunk LOL. So to be on the safe side and still have fun, i guess i'd just invest in a feedback suppressor so that they can go anywhere they want. Note too that I am intending to purchase a wireless mic sometime in the future and this would make things worse as it is.

To add, these are the mics/speakers i use:

Mic - 2x SM58 direct to mixer / 1xSM7b to a Focusrite ISA One then to mixer

Speaker - Music is from my home theater system 5.1 which sounds very good. For vocals, I use a single QSC K10 from the main output of our mixer. I place the K10 speaker in the middle by the floor pointing a bit upwards. I am thinking of adding another K10 to make it stereo but I don't know if it would help the sound quality that much. The single k10 is loud as it is. Also, I can't use speaker stands due to WAF and there's really no space to put it since people pass those spaces behind the system. (that's the dining area and that's where we place the food during our party)

Note: I just added pics to my original post so you can see my system.

Back