best mic for recording vocals?

frequency_

i guess different mics suits different voices, but is there in your opinion a mic that's generaly better than the rest?

Out of curiosity, how does "Best mic for recording vocals" fit in the "Rack" forum? :D

Did see your post in the "Mic" forum and dropped a post there.

I am not talking about a C12 VR. I am talking about one of the original 2000 C12's made. I have the VERY distinct honor of using one ONCE. AMAZING! It is too bad that the session it was used on was scraped at that studio.

I don't think you can pick up an original WORKING C12 for less than around $12,000 or so.

Ford Van said:
I am not talking about a C12 VR. I am talking about one of the original 2000 C12's made. I have the VERY distinct honor of using one ONCE. AMAZING! It is too bad that the session it was used on was scraped at that studio.

I don't think you can pick up an original WORKING C12 for less than around $12,000 or so.

I figured you weren't, just wanted to let the world know that I looked at the C12 VR - which I'm sure isn't a crappy microphone.

1994, AKG started production of the C12 VR (Vintage Revival) which was designed to be a copy of the original C12. The VR has different circuitry and a different manufacturing process of the capsule(IE Machine made, not handmade), the new VR is not even close to the performance of the original. The original CK12 capsule was hand assembled and tuned with a screw adjustable rim, contrasted to an automated assembly with an inferior glued-in diaphragm. The same is the case with the earlier attempt by AKG, known as The Tube.

Sexy mic looks wise..but thats about it.

and yeah the c12/c24 is amazing on vocals!...

I used one once.. :(

BigRay said:
1994, AKG started production of the C12 VR (Vintage Revival) which was designed to be a copy of the original C12. The VR has different circuitry and a different manufacturing process of the capsule(IE Machine made, not handmade), the new VR is not even close to the performance of the original. The original CK12 capsule was hand assembled and tuned with a screw adjustable rim, contrasted to an automated assembly with an inferior glued-in diaphragm. The same is the case with the earlier attempt by AKG, known as The Tube.

Sexy mic looks wise..but thats about it.

and yeah the c12/c24 is amazing on vocals!...

I used one once.. :(

Thanks for elaborating Big Ray, it's appreciated. I assumed it wasn't the exact process, but just perhaps a couple parts (tube) that were used in the original. I'm by no means a microphone expert, just going by what I read in my quest for better mics.

warble said:
Thanks for elaborating Big Ray, it's appreciated. I assumed it wasn't the exact process, but just perhaps a couple parts (tube) that were used in the original. I'm by no means a microphone expert, just going by what I read in my quest for better mics.

Well,that wasn't exactly HIS elabroation, rather a cut/paste job from another website. ;)

Try a google search on AKG C12, you will find it. ;)

Back