Best Loopers and/or Delay Pedals for Reverse (Backwards) Audio?

gvdv

Hi,
I want to be able to do reverse (‘backwards’) audio when playing guitar (a la the solo in The Beatles ‘I’m Only Sleeping’, and some Hendrix songs).

(e.g., .1.34 – 1.45 here The Beatles -I'm Only Sleeping - (REVOLVER) Remastered - YouTube ).

I know that a couple of loopers have the ability to do this.

For example, the Jamman Stereo can do reverse playback of an already recorded loop – not sure if it can handle a live signal and instantly reverse it – and the Boomerang III Phrase Sampler (i.e., looper) can both do reverse playback of a loop, and can ‘convert’ a solo played live to reverse audio; the Boss RC 20 XL looper can also do some form of reverse audio, as can a couple of the Line 6 products.

In addition to the loopers, there are many delay pedals that do some form of reverse audio (e.g., Boss DD-6, Digitech DL 8).

I have two main questions:
1. Do the ‘Delay pedals’ which have reverse audio automatically add delay to the reversed audio, or are there any of them which will enable one to reverse the guitar signal without delay being applied?

2. Which loopers and/or pedals would you recommend for this purpose?
I have to say that I was quite impressed with this demo of the Boomerang III - Boomerang III Phrase Sampler Demo, Part 2 - Play Styles and Functions - YouTube 6.46 - 8.41 (especially 8.00 – 8.41), partly because it allows one to reverse an already recorded loop, and it also has another mode which is basically a guitar effect which instantly converts a live signal into reverse audio.

Any suggestions, and information about advantages, disadvantages, regarding being able to do reverse/backwards audio with any of these devices will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

I use an RC-50 and in one song I play the chord sequence backwards into the looper at the very start of the tune and then it reverses immediately in the next measure whilst I build the rest of the loop.

Hey, I use the EH Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai for this. It is a versatile (digital) delay pedal with modulation and a simple looper. I have let go of my Boss RC-30 as I found I really just needed this pedal.

1. Yes, it can. The blend-knob takes care of this. Along with the tap-tempo it sounds pretty sweet and trippy and in-time.

2. The Hazarai also allows reversing of recorded loops by turning the decay-knob to minimum after having recorded the loop.

Highly recommend this pedal. Also has reverb comparable to a EHX Holy Grail.

Back