Best Audio Interface Under 1000

Willyc510

So I'm in a unique situation.
I have an isolation room that's big enough for a whole band, a 3.4 GHz processing computer, 15 different microphones but no audio interface.
I've recorded before using little tascam US-122mkll but nothing to this scale.
I have just been given 1000 dollars to buy the best audio interface I can get given my set up.

It needs to have 8+ inputs, USB 2.0 or 3.0, pre-amps and be under 1000 dollars.

I've looked at PreSonus 1818vsl but I want something with higher quality.

Any suggestions?

RME Babyface has USB 2.0, great converters and software. The preamps are very clean sounding. However, it only has 2 XLR inputs. It can handle up to 10 inputs, but you need an external preamp (up to 8 channels) with ADAT-out.

I mention this because it will be very hard to find an interface with good conversion and 8 channels of decent-quality preamp for under $1000.

If you can swing for a FireWire card as well (if you're using a desktop), I'd say the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 would indeed be a good bet. 8 pre's to start with in the interface and the ability to add 16 inputs via lightpipe pre's in the future (2 x focusrite octopres, etc).

If USB is the only option maybe the MOTU 896mk3, which has the same advantage of having 8 pre's and the ability to add more inputs later on down the road via lightpipe.

Back